How much play should there be in a sure grip back and forth?

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
Hey all
I have a question about the play in a 8 3/4 323 sure grip rear end? When I put the car up on jack stands and grab the drive shaft and turn it; it takes about 3/4 of a inch turn before it turns the wheels either way. My question is this to much play from side to side? and can this play be adjusted? I hope this makes sense. I switched from a auto 727 to a four speed this winter and never noticed any problems before.

Pat Faley
"fuzzman"
67 NB S Clone
Peoria IL

Sounds like you have excessive backlash.If you changed to a 4sp I would take the center section out and have it checked. Mark

there may a bit of play in the suregrip (assuming it is a spicer clutch type). 3/4 " sounds like there may be too much backlash on the ring and pinion as dartcuda1 stated above.

Usually you'll hear a rear with to much backlash, to little also. Could be your side gears or the axle to side gear spline depending on which sure grip you're using. That much play would cause me to pull the center and have a look regardless.

Usually you'll hear a rear with to much backlash, to little also. Could be your side gears or the axle to side gear spline depending on which sure grip you're using. That much play would cause me to pull the center and have a look regardless.

Agreed, pull it out and have a look.

Hell I'd say more like 3/8" on a limited slip. Maybe a max of 1/2" On an "open" rear end, when you turn the shaft, you may also be "taking up" the backlash in the spiders, which can "seem to" add more

You can't take the end yoke and turn it and know if you have to much or to little and use that as any reliable way to gauge anything.

When you turn the end yoke it takes up the .006 to .010 or more BL and then the clearance in the spiders, and then the side gears and the pin and the axles in the side gears and then the tire moves.
How could you make any determination on your BL with all that involved.

-
Back