How Much Room

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Just got my intake back from being machined. Took .004 off the top to the bottom to help seal the bottom of the intake port. Now it sits a little lower and is kinda tight at the block to intake gap. Has about .030 clearance.
It's an aluminium intake and cast iron heads.
Is this to tight? Or will I have another issue?

So your saying it's tight at the rear china rail? What about the front china rail? If it's tight on one end it should be tight on the other. If not you have another issue. I always seal the china rails with rtv. A .030 gap shouldn't be a issue. Just don't go crazy with the rtv

Yep, its that tight front and rear. I didn't know if it would be an issue with thermal expansion.
Thanks guys, I'll bolt it on and hope for the best.

Yep, its that tight front and rear. I didn't know if it would be an issue with thermal expansion.
Thanks guys, I'll bolt it on and hope for the best.

Was that .030 with it bolted down as mock up? I would watch it as you torque the intake down, it should be fine as long as it doesn't clamp down on the China rails.

Was that .030 with it bolted down as mock up? I would watch it as you torque the intake down, it should be fine as long as it doesn't clamp down on the China rails.

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

Closer to the China walls is better, until the manifold hits the rails. Then it sucks.

I made my own gaskets, .060 thick.
I had it torqued down to 15 ft lbs last night when I measured it at .030. I just finished final install and have it torqued to 20 ft lbs.
The RTV oozed out but I can see in places there is about .030 gap. I'll get it going tomorrow, first time since last fall.

I pulled the guide pins and used Mopar black RTV. Let it sit overnight before starting. Worked great.

-
Back