how much will it cost..

-

1 Bad Duster

Pro Street Duster
Reaction score
I have search and I couldn't find what I was looking for..Around how much will it cost to bore a 340 30-40 over and get everything done. New cam bearing,freeze plugs,hot tanked and do what ever has to be done for a 416ci stroker kit. I might be able to find a complete motor cheaper than I could build one for..

I think for my standard bore 340 with just forged crank and mains, its gonna end up running me close to $3k if not more, probably more, to build it after head work, rod work, block work, crank grinding, new bearings, etc etc etc.

bore with plates $150-$225 hot tank magna flux, cam bearings, freeze plugs, $100-$200 zero deck block $100, machine shop prices vary greatly, $400 to $600 should be close

block work w/studs and prep for=$600-$800
then add the stroker kit, a balance job, gaskets, cam/lifters and an oil pump.

assembly [mock up included]-$400-$500

then price new heads-1300-1600 or yer lookin at around $500-$900 given the level of rebuild on an old set.

then price new heads-1300-1600 or yer lookin at around $500-$900 given the level of rebuild on an old set.
Damn! That puts me close to $5k to build my 340.:toothy10:. Thanks dude

I know...it aint cheap, can be in other states/cites, but those are 'performance' shop prices here and consists of clean/mag/line hone/squaring the deck/bore & hone w/torque plates etc...

If you want builder/standard type work done it would look more like $275-$350 clean/mag/bore & hone no deck plates, surface decks.
hard to find shop assembly for less than $300, not including mock up.

mock it up yourself, clearance, and then re clean it yourself-free
oh and have the tools to do it, not so free for some of you.

heads/parts cost the same.

Stroker kit balanced--2300
Block work w/studs and prep-600-800
engine gasket kit-65-75
cam and lifters-250-350
Oil pump--65-75
assembly--Free
I have a set of 915s I can get port and polished free..
Intake- Free-259.00
Carb--Free
Headers- Free..

Thats 3,539 to 3,859 and some of the parts is free because i have them or can do it for free.. So I could probably find a complete motor for that...If I had aluminum heads with roller rockers I'am looking at another 1500-1700 so that will put me at 5,039 to 5,559 for a complete motor..

Stroker kit balanced--2300
Block work w/studs and prep-600-800
engine gasket kit-65-75
cam and lifters-250-350
Oil pump--65-75
assembly--Free
I have a set of 915s I can get port and polished free..
Intake- Free-259.00
Carb--Free
Headers- Free..

Thats 3539 to 3859 and some of the parts is free because i have them or can do it for free.. So I could probably find a complete motor for that...

mmmmm maybe, and who built it? ya know what I mean?

I used a nodular iron crank,h beam,kb hyper quench dome w/bearings balanced internal for $1300 to my door step from ohio crankshaft, cam/lifters were $140 +$120 for springs locks retainers, block work w/arp studs cost me $596, rebuilt J's I full ported & milled to 60cc's=$890, $70 for gaskets, had the rest laying around from other motors.
about $3100 mocked and assembled myself........

however the catch is....I scored the stroker kit for 600 off of a guy who abandoned his project, so more $25008)

mmmmm maybe, and who built it? ya know what I mean?

I used a nodular iron crank,h beam,kb hyper quench dome w/bearings balanced internal for $1300 to my door step from ohio crankshaft, cam/lifters were $140 +$120 for springs locks retainers, block work w/arp studs cost me $596, rebuilt J's I full ported & milled to 60cc's=$890, $70 for gaskets, had the rest laying around from other motors.
about $3100 mocked and assembled myself........

however the catch is....I scored the stroker kit for 600 off of a guy who abandoned his project, so more $25008)

I have a buddy that put together motors.He wouldprobably charge me nothing to put it together.. I just went to mancini racing and priced everything I needed to build a 416ci with aluminum heads and it came out to be 5343.40 and add block work w/ stud and new cam bearing and freeze plugs 5,943.40 to 6,143.40..

I wish I could come across a deal like you did..

I have a buddy that put together motors.He wouldprobably charge me nothing to put it together.. I just went to mancini racing and priced everything I needed to build a 416ci with aluminum heads and it came out to be 5343.40 and add block work w/ stud and new cam bearing and freeze plugs 5,943.40 to 6,143.40..

I wish I could come across a deal like you did..
Just keep an eye out dude. Deals pop up all the time. People need money quick and they will sell parts dirt cheap to get that money quick.

Take into mind though, buying a complete already built engine can get you in trouble. The person who built it coulda done alot of stuff wrong which could pile onto the cost of buying it. I'd rather build my own and know its good to go and if anything went wrong, id be the only one to blame most likely

Just keep an eye out dude. Deals pop up all the time. People need money quick and they will sell parts dirt cheap to get that money quick.

Take into mind though, buying a complete already built engine can get you in trouble. The person who built it coulda done alot of stuff wrong which could pile onto the cost of buying it. I'd rather build my own and know its good to go and if anything went wrong, id be the only one to blame most likely

Ya I will keep my eye out. and ya I'd rather build my own motor for the same reason if something goes wrong I have to blame my own self.

I'm right at $5k with my 408 build....all machine work, stroker kit, J-Heads totally redone, roller rockers, cam, complete and assembled. I'd spend the $5k with a reputable builder, before I would spend $3-4k on a crate deal 8)

Rickster

-
Back