How not to brake the glass....

-

firefighter1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am trying to take a front windshield off of my donor car. It's a 1971 dodge dart swinger. I want to take the chrome trim and the window off without damaging them. Any tips or procedures? Any special tools required? Thanks.

Do you care about the gasket? If not, I removed one about three weeks ago by taking a utility knife and running it around the glass inside and out with the blade laying flat on the glass. I then cut the portion of the seal that locks in the glass and took some channel locks and ripped it off. I then crawled in the front seat and pushed the front glass with both feet starting in one corner then moving towards the other corner keeping some pressure on the glass the whole time. Eventually the butyl sealant gave away and I removed the glass. I know some people say that the glass doesn't always have sealant on them but with my limited experience all that I have saw do.

I took mine out of my 70 Swinger like lee g said. Cut the gasket and pull the cut strip off like a zipper. My glass lifted right out with no effort at all. You really should replace the gasket anyway if you remove the glass.

The trim removal tool looks like this. I got mine at NAPA about 10 years ago.

Attachments

• trim.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 115
Have just done this on the weekend. A tool like Robj posted would be ideal for the chrome, but I did it with a very fine flat-head screwdriver - lift up the chrome trim from the glass side (rather than the window frame side and push it down/back to disengage it from the clip. Once you've done one clip it becomes really obvious and you'll have no issues with the others (hopefully).

Once the chrome trim was off, I cut the seal away from mine as lee g described - one man job and it didn't take long. My seal was original and had been re-sealed with butyl once before and it was no wonder it was leaking. I'd definitely recommend replacing the seal with a new one.

-
Back