How to Assemble the Front of a Small Block

-
The guy asking me for the information is having questions about the keyway (woodruff key) for the camshaft. Here are a few pictures to show how the keyway fits into the camshaft:

Timing Gear A05 b.jpg

Timing Gear A06 b.jpg

Timing Gear A07 b.jpg

Here is a shot of a camshaft with the timing chain gear and the "washer" and bolt for the timing chain gear and fuel pump eccentric:

Timing Gear A03 b.jpg

Here is the same thing from straight on:

Timing Gear A04 b.jpg

Here's a shot showing the side view. The camshaft thrust plate goes in the gap behind the gear:

Timing Gear A02 b.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for taking the time to do a really nice tutorial.
I have a 273 I have to reassemble the front because the P O had a case of " take every fri--ing thing apart of the car and then let it sit" disease!!! LOL

EXCELLENT INFO for those of us who don't do this everyday.
THANKS!!!
PS - I thought I read somewhere that you can drill a small hole in one of the front oil passages to ensure that your chain gets plenty of oil??
Treblig

PS - I thought I read somewhere that you can drill a small hole in one of the front oil passages to ensure that your chain gets plenty of oil??
Treblig

Why bother when the factory has a few good ways.

good job Karl maybe you will get a sticky! And I don't mean from one of those hooter girls at the show the other day..LOL

Are those chain scrapers needed? Reason I ask is while doing a cam swap in my 340, I noticed it doesn't have one. Should I buy one?

Last edited by a moderator:
???

Exactly what are you referring to, this?

View attachment 1714746502

If so, that is an oiling tab, and yes, I would get one. Oil runs from the valley through the holes and runs down the cam retainer and drips oil from that tab directly onto the chain.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Thanks. Where would I even find one of those to buy? Seems like every small block I've taken apart didn't even have one.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Thanks. Where would I even find one of those to buy? Seems like every small block I've taken apart didn't even have one.

That does not "scrape" the chain, it directs the oil that drips out of the hole to fall directly on the timing chain. That is the purpose of having the point of the tab the lowest point on the part. The oil runs down there and drips off.

One version from the factory did not use the oiling tab and left the bolt hole empty, theory is that the oil slinger will also "throw" oil around. I prefer the tab as I feel that it directs the oil better.

Mopar cancelled them about a year and a half ago. I ordered a few for myself when I found out last summer, there were 1,000 of them left in a warehouse in Wisconsin. If you have a dealer that can look them up, Chrysler part number 3671649.

Here's a link for some that I found with a Google search:

http://www.marineonewholesale.com/parts/chrysler-tab-timing-chain-oil-pn-3671649

Or you can find them on most small blocks from the factory.

Very nice, Karl. One thing I noticed you forgot to mention. There is a thick felt washer that goes on the harmonic balancer that helps keep dust and dirt away from the front crank seal area. Kinda a "seal seal" if you will. I have found that on nearly all small blocks that were original that I tore down....there even one on my 331 Hemi when I tore it down, and I replaced it with a new one.

Very nice, Karl. One thing I noticed you forgot to mention. There is a thick felt washer that goes on the harmonic balancer that helps keep dust and dirt away from the front crank seal area. Kinda a "seal seal" if you will. I have found that on nearly all small blocks that were original that I tore down....there even one on my 331 Hemi when I tore it down, and I replaced it with a new one.

Yes, I've seen that.

It is not shown here for two reasons.

1. I didn't install the timing chain and water pump. I believe that you put that on the damper after the timing chain cover goes in.

2. I just threw this information together "at the last minute" for the guy who is asking me questions. I just grabbed some old parts and some old shots to put together. The purpose of this thread was to show how the parts all fit together under the timing chain cover. I hope to document my next small block build in the future for a full blown How-To thread for a basic rebuild.

There is another option also with the timing chain tensioner. I have not used one, as I have worked on the older 60's and 70's vintage engines. I've heard that some double roller chains are not "compatible" with them. I have seen you posting that the Cloyes double roller chain will work with the Cloyes tensioner. I usually run the Edelbrock true roller double roller chain available from Mancini Racing for $62.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/edelbrock4.html

I have not assembled the timing chain tensioner, but if someone wants to post up how to do it with some pictures, that would be great.

Good Stuff for the unfamiliar :evil3:....SOP for the Seasoned Vet's Though.....:farao:

Thanks for the writeup......:cheers:

Thanks Krazykuda! I have it all assembled and the next step is paint, the install. Thanks again. All of you guys on this site have been a ton of help.

Nice mr Kuda.
Not too many will people will take the time like you have to help somebody out.
I had to read shop manuals and pay attention way back before the internet.

Great thread Karl. Many thanks! :cheers: Very timely for me as I have the front of my 340 apart as I type this. Regarding that oil slinger... looks like the PO didn't put it back on when he/she had things apart way back when. Looks like some folks do without, other do with. How important is it to have? If it's a big deal, I'll track one down before I button up the cover.

thanks again,
Pat

Great thread Karl. Many thanks! :cheers: Very timely for me as I have the front of my 340 apart as I type this. Regarding that oil slinger... looks like the PO didn't put it back on when he/she had things apart way back when. Looks like some folks do without, other do with. How important is it to have? If it's a big deal, I'll track one down before I button up the cover.

thanks again,
Pat

I would run the oil slinger. They take the oil that gets on the front crank gear and help "sling" it around to lube the chain also in addition to the "drip tab" for oiling. Keeping the chain well oiled helps it last longer and not stretch as much.

You can get them cheap from Mancini Racing.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/oilslinger.html

Summit is more expensive on this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5249636/overview/

They also help to keep the front seal from leaking by throwing the oil away from it.
On more than one engine I've done I've fitted the timing cover, and then after doing up the bolts found the slinger sitting on the bench. At least the sealant hadn't had the chance to cure, and the gaskets were able to be saved.
Good write up Krazykuda!

-
Back