How to block off fuel return line in Classic Industries Fuel Sending Unit.

-
Did you get a vapor separator filter and if so would you know the part number?
I got a wix and I got these for backups. Let me look back and I will find the wix part number

20201016_000441.jpg

20201016_000459.jpg

Hello Mopar experts,

I’m reinstalling a Classic Industries fuel sending unit with a 3/8 fuel line and a either 5/16” or 1/4” return line. I am running a carb and do not need the return line and therefore I would like to plug it. (See attached picture) I used a rubber vacuum plug as a temporary fix however I’m guessing that this is not the brightest idea. Any ideas as to what I should do?View attachment 1715512411
Most of the caps you are thinking of are for vacuum lines. They will not stand up to fuel. Ask me how I know. I did exactly what you are talking about 3 or 4 years ago. It worked for a few years. Then, one time we came home from an RV trip, and when I opened the garage door, the smell of raw gas hit me in the face. I am shocked that a spark from the garage door did not start a fire. The plug had deteriorated, and it had been dripping (I assume) for days. I rolled it out of the garage and temporarily stopped the leak with another vacuum plug. Of course the gas tank was full, so I drove it around (no real chore) and then used a short piece of fuel line with a plug and two hose clamps to fix it. I plan to get a new sending unit and replace it this winter after welding that hole closed.

That is fine, just put a hose clamp on it.
Only if the rubber is rated for gas

It will be fine if that cap is rated for gasoline, otherwise it might break down and leek later.
Trust me, it will. See above. I'm lucky I didn't burn my house down.

I did like a previous poster showed, but instead of plugging the short piece of fuel hose with a bolt, I used a steel pin the same size as the I.D. of the hose and then clamped it. No problems...

-
Back