How To Change A Tire

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought Kitty a set of new tires for the Escape recently since the Cooper Cobras are nearing the end of their life span. They still have a marked amount of tread left, but there are places where the tread wear indicators are very close to the surface, plus they are over five years old, so I pulled the trigger on some 225/70/15 LT M&S General Grabber AT2s. Real nice tires. Since I mount all of my own tires, I thought I'd do a how to. Or at least a "how I do it". Here's the first video showing how to remove the tire. The "how to mount" video is uploading now.

But seriously, changing out the heavy truck Budd rims split rings is no joke, those things can get you killed before you know what happened. I want to see the rodeo video of someone changing out one in under a minute!

I've done motorcycle tires that way, but have never attempted a car tire without a machine, even if it is a cheap HF machine.

But seriously, changing out the heavy truck Budd rims split rings is no joke, those things can get you killed before you know what happened. I want to see the rodeo video of someone changing out one in under a minute!
Obsolete split rims are almost non existent today. Even in the military they replace them. Truly dangerous have you ever seen the 60 minutes exposé about Uhaul and split rims?

No I haven’t, but that sounds like a must watch! I’ve heard about so many accidents and near misses with those things.

my wife approves of the six children you have...just waiting to hear we need one or two more. Thanks for the videos! Cat treat was neat!

Obsolete split rims are almost non existent today. Even in the military they replace them. Truly dangerous have you ever seen the 60 minutes exposé about Uhaul and split rims?
I did semi-truck split rims back in my tire busting days of the late 1970s. We would put the new tires on, install the split on the rim, put the wheel under a hoist, and lower the hoist until it contacted the rim. Then we would clear the floor of people and I would stand on one leg of the hoist as I filled the tube with air. We would let the wheel sit for a minute or two after the correct air pressure was acheived. The inflated tire sidewall would be compressed against the hoist leg and act as a safety dam in case the split ring didn't hold. We would inspect the split ring to make sure it was seated properly before raising the hoist. I only had one ring slip in all of the rims that I did. It did make me jump. Glad those things are gone.

Have you ever done semi truck tires some of them are even easier.
Except the part where you need a chain hoist to flip the over. Yes, I worked at a heavy duty truck shop for over a year. I didn't mind it, as the money was good. I didn't like being on call 24 hours a day during the weekend.

Last edited:

You have to know which ones to refuse. If the ring was "sprung" or bent or damaged when we took them off, they didn't get remounted. I changed them for a lot of years and never had one let loose. If you take your hands, put them fingers to fingers in front of you, reverse one and make hooks with your fingers and pull them locked together, that's how lock rings work. But that curve must lock into the recess on the wheel all the way around and GOOD. If not, get it the hell away from me.

The tire mounting video is STILL uploading. lol

Well? What can I say? Yall already know I'm blunt. lol
I took it like a safety disclaimer because if you don't know how it works or what you're doing, you shouldn't be doing **** like this.

If you're a wuss then take your tire to a box brand store and the guy or maybe even girl will even unload and load it in your car so you don't get your little, soft, hands dirty.

I took it like a safety disclaimer because if you don't know how it works or what you're doing, you shouldn't be doing **** like this.

If you're a wuss then take your tire to a box brand store and the guy or maybe even girl will even unload and load it in your car so you don't get your little, soft, hands dirty.

Pretty much "what I meant". lol

I bought Kitty a set of new tires for the Escape recently since the Cooper Cobras are nearing the end of their life span. They still have a marked amount of tread left, but there are places where the tread wear indicators are very close to the surface, plus they are over five years old, so I pulled the trigger on some 225/70/15 LT M&S General Grabber AT2s. Real nice tires. Since I mount all of my own tires, I thought I'd do a how to. Or at least a "how I do it". Here's the first video showing how to remove the tire. The "how to mount" video is uploading now.

My neighbor is the Manager at the local Big O tire store
He changes mine for free after hours, dont tell anyone.

Just put a new set of hankooks on my old ladies 2017 escape --------

And you know what? My Ford F250 is a 75 model It Came with 16" lock ring wheels from the factory, with 7.50/16 bias ply tires. Someone (smartly) upgraded to one piece 16" wheels "somewhere" in the past. Guess what? Here's how warped I am. I've been looking for a good set of five 16" lock rings ever since I got the truck. I actually like them, as long as they are in good shape. They are very well made out of THICK steel. So far, I've had no luck. I do actually have a set, but they sat out in the weather too long before I got them. No way I would use them now.

-
Back