how to detect a worn converter ?

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
tried the forums search - but didn´t really find an answer....

how to detect a worn torque converter ?

i´m asking cause of my daily drive 1970 valiant 318 stock engine with TF904 trans.

maybe i´m a little bit neurotic, but the car does not downshift and accelerate as before - if i push the pedal at 55 mph nothing, at 50 mph sometimes if shifts down, at 40 or 35 mph it shifts but if feels not powerful

first thing i checked was the kickdown-linkage - but everything is fine with it.

so i thought about the converter or cld it be somewhat else... how to check a converter for proper function ?

cld. it caused by a cloged air-filter (indeed it is very polluted, and should be replaced)
also i´d changed the point-breaker-style distr. thing to a pertronix-modul (but didn´t have the chance to check the timing since)

i also have serious vibrations i cld. not really locate for more than a year... there noticable when the car rolls along the streets in the city at 30 mph (1400rpm or so) and no force on the pedal, only when its slightly touched. if i rev up only 100 rpm its over and will be come back 2600 rpm on the highway. i can feel them in the steering wheel and on my butt sitting on the bench.

A torque converter is a fluid coupled device therefore it doesn't normally wear like other devices. It sounds to me like your engine needs a good tune-up. Your description of the air cleaner alone suggests it could be a major contributor to lack of acceleration. Worn points can also greatly affect power output. That's where I'd start looking first.

What all have you done/checked to find/resolve the vibration problem? Vibrations can tear stuff up so it should be fixed soon.

A torque converter is a fluid coupled device therefore it doesn't normally wear like other devices. It sounds to me like your engine needs a good tune-up. Your description of the air cleaner alone suggests it could be a major contributor to lack of acceleration. Worn points can also greatly affect power output. That's where I'd start looking first.

What all have you done/checked to find/resolve the vibration problem? Vibrations can tear stuff up so it should be fixed soon.

thanx for your answer fishy68 - conc. the vibrations. i´ve replaced motormounts, transmission mount and both u-joints on the driveshaft

No problem Timo. If I were you I'd have the driveshaft checked for balance. It's surprising how many are not in balance. A buddy of mine has a challenger and had a vibration like what you described and it was the driveshaft had thrown the balance weight off. Also don't overlook the tires. Any one of them can cause a vibration. Good luck.

Check for belt separation on your tires. This is something often overlooked and has been the cause of vibration for several members in the past.

thanx for your support and answers, just changed the tires/rims combo today, cause of snow awaited for this weekend. the vibrations still remain, so i can exclude these.

-
Back