How to fix ring and gear pattern?

-

ESP47

Reaction score
This is a 489 case with a new 3.73 ring and pinion and crush sleeve eliminator.

Is this pattern saying that I need to add a pinion shim to increase the pinion height?

If so, I don't think there's any way I can remove the pinion bearing without destroying it. Is it possible to just add a shim to the race instead of the pinion itself?

I tried the pattern with .006" and .008" backlash and there really wasn't a difference.

IMG_20240401_150831229_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240401_150841292_HDR.jpg

Want to make sure your ring gear is bolted up completely flat, try your pattern at 90 degrees the 180 degrees and see if the pattern looks different than what you have now?

Want to use a large screw driver or a pry bar to create drag on the ring gear (both ways) while turning the pinion..Are all of the bearings lubed to get a correct reading?

you need to move the drive pattern up on the gear , you have too much toe ( towards inner part of tooth ) in the pattern so you have to subtract from the shim thickness , take out .003 from the pinion shim thickness and try again and keep doing that until you arrive at a proper pattern. you will need a puller of some sort to remove the pinion bearing without damaging it a bearing splitter will work but you need access to a press or clam shell type puller, this is where honing the I.D" of a good used bearing or new bearing to simply slip on and off helps with the shim selection. pic shows recent gear set up i've done with gear set to the factory checking distance spec.

100_4176.JPG

-
Back