How to ID a 5.7 engine

-

moparlvr166

Reaction score
I have always had BB & SB, how do I get as much info from the sticker on the valve cover
TNXE6206310345
P01893040OA
OA
Can get from a friend of a friend?, was told from a rollover dodge car. complete engine and wire harness. Next question what is the going price for a used 5.7 not locked up and can turn crank? any help for a 1st time HEMI possible owner.

5_7hemi_crate.jpg

dukeboy
by your photos it looks like the 6.1, the coolant outlet is on the passenger side and has the same intake and valve covers but the sticker on valve cover says 5.7. Did the 5.7 ever come with the black covers and the same intake as the 6.1?

dukeboy
by your photos it looks like the 6.1, the coolant outlet is on the passenger side and has the same intake and valve covers but the sticker on valve cover says 5.7. Did the 5.7 ever come with the black covers and the same intake as the 6.1?
I wouldnt be surprised if they did, depending on car, truck or suv use. I know I can't fit 5.7 aftermarket valve covers from a charger/challenger on my Durango because of how the plumbing is ran.

Is the intake plastic or metal? 5.7 did not have an aluminum intake.

The 5.7 posted above is from a truck. The intakes and water pumps and such are completely different from a truck to a car.

All 5.7s we have, have the 5.7 physically cast into the block.

A 5.7 with a car intake...

20160606_124950.jpg

Only early hemis have the aluminum valve covers. My money is on a pre 09, plain ol 5.7 from a car. Take a picture of it and I can tell you immediately.

No 5.7 left the factory with a 6.1 intake.

Here's how to decode that sticker.

TNXE6206310345 - YOUR CODE
TNX - ???
E6 - Saltillo Engine Plant
620 - Julian Calender date engine was assembled - This would be June 20
6 - Year (2006)
3 - 3rd shift
10345 - number engine built that day.

Now this is not a perfect decode as these are internal numbers and not much is known. But I can guarantee it was build in Saltillo and it's a 2006 5.7.

This is what it'll look like.
57magnum_1.jpg

Riddler

Last edited:
Thanks all for the info, It looks like the one in Riddler's photo.
Next question I heard some of the early 5.7 had a problem with dropping valve seats, does anyone know what years to stay away from.

I've got an '06 Charger at work that dropped a seat at 72,000 miles and I know of some through '08 that have lost some at other agencies. My regional service guy assured me they fixed the problem with the '09 up Eagles or I was going to stop buying them.

I've got an '06 Charger at work that dropped a seat at 72,000 miles and I know of some through '08 that have lost some at other agencies. My regional service guy assured me they fixed the problem with the '09 up Eagles or I was going to stop buying them.
not related to this post but was wanting to know if you still have the sbp monocque front wheels

-
Back