How to keep hubcaps on?

-

ann

Reaction score
Hello, still have the stock 13-inch wheels on my 63 valiant, and my hubcaps keep flying off around turns!

Can anyone help me figure out how to keep them on? I suppose there is some physics to it somewhere, but I'm not sure what part is most critical. I've tried re-bending the metal to make it all look perfect, but they still fly off. Not immediately, but within a day or so.

I was told I could run screws through them into the wheels, but don't really want to do that, yet.

cheers, Ann

Radial tires apply more loads to those cheaply-made 13" wheels. They flex and either spin the wheel covers til the valve stem gets in the way, then they let go of the covers around corners. Clean the rim of the wheel cover and its mating surface of the wheel carefully, then sparingly(!) apply urethane glue (Gorilla is one brand) in a few spots around the rim. Leave it sit for a few hours, checking it periodically; the Urethane glue will bubble/foam up (which is why you don't want to use a lot). Wipe (before it sets) or trim (after) away any excess foamed glue and you should be good to go; you'll still be able to remove the covers in the normal way by prying them off.

Thanks Slantsixdan! I like your idea better than screws through the hubcap!

I've used the 3M weatherstrip adhesive (othewise known as "yellow Elephant snot") with good luck too......It comes in black also!

Hello, still have the stock 13-inch wheels on my 63 valiant, and my hubcaps keep flying off around turns!

Can anyone help me figure out how to keep them on? I suppose there is some physics to it somewhere, but I'm not sure what part is most critical. I've tried re-bending the metal to make it all look perfect, but they still fly off. Not immediately, but within a day or so.

I was told I could run screws through them into the wheels, but don't really want to do that, yet.

cheers, Ann

Hubcaps or Wheel covers?
I never had a problem with the dog dish style hubcaps,
but did loose a wheel cover a couple times.

Hubcaps on the light blue 1965,
wheel covers on the dark gray '64.

IMAGE1Medium.JPG

Hubcaps or Wheel covers?
I never had a problem with the dog dish style hubcaps,
but did loose a wheel cover a couple times.

Hubcaps on the light blue 1965,
wheel covers on the dark gray '64.

Its quite common for a full wheel cover to be called a hub cap.
Run away wheel covers were very common in the early to mid 70s. Radial tires were to blame.
I've got a set of those fancy but heavy wheel covers from a B-body that I would like to use but until I can find a way to keep them on the car....
I've also got a set of the retainers from a 87 Fifthe Ave spoke hub caps.
Haven't figuerd out how to morph these together yet.
If one of these monsters was to get away it might total loss one of todays vehicles. LOL

-
Back