How to remove the steering column shift column tube

-

70Roadkill

Reaction score
ive looked for images and threads for how to remove the tube to convert it to a floor shift. Mine is a 70 swinger column. I can’t find the spot welds or whatever I need to remove that piece. Any pics showing what I need to remove is much appreciated.

I think that it is just press into the column piece

The column must be removed from the car.
The shift tube must come out the bottom.
To get out the bottom the steering shaft needs to be removed or the coupler removed.

This should get you pointed in the right direction.

Alan

If I remember correctly, you don't want to remove the shift tube because that supports the collar and switch. You just want to replace the collar with a plain manual shift one.

On a floor shift column, the lower third section of the column (some refer to as collar) is actually held in place with a set screw to the shift tube. So, you can shorten the tube where it sticks out on the engine side, but it needs to remain. If you remove the tube, there's nothing for that section to attach to. On a column shift, that section contains the lever, boss, spring, etc.

columnsectionimg_01.jpg

The middle section with the key cylinder is screwed to the outer tube with long sheet metal screws. You can see the shiney heads in the photo below.

housingtojacketimg_01.jpg

In the photo below, the shift arm has been cut off the bottom of the shift tube, but you could cut the tube back to the end of the outer jacket. The plastic bushing should remain to support the end of the shift tube.

snapringimg_01.jpg

shifttubeimg_01.jpg

Backup up a bit, below that third section there is a retainer pressed down into the outer tube. A wave washer rests on top of that with grease. That acts as a pivot point and STOP for the lower section/shift tube assembly to keep it from dropping down too far (or separating down and away from the middle section). Clear as mud?

supportimg_01.jpg
wavewasherimg_01.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back