How wise/necessary to add power steering?

-

!340cuda!

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new member with a 1969 Barracuda convertible I have been trying to restore for the last 30 years. As most of you might experience, life and other things can get in the way of even the most desired projects.
Finally retired and want to try hard to get it done. Car has been torn down years ago, 340 has been rebuilt and in car since 1990. Used a assembly lube by Sta-Lube called E.P./
Anti-Seize Moly-Graph to rebuild the engine. A side question is should I disassemble and rebuild due to time since rebuild or go forward as is?

While engine is sitting there without exhaust manifolds and other components, now is the time to switch to power steering if I want to. Question is, since it is a lot of work to switch over to power steering from manual steering...How wise and/or necessary is it to go to the effort?

Thanks, Larry

Thanks for the input, I do have most of the big pieces...steering gear and pump. Will need a few more items. Wondering if manual steering is going to make the car a little too hard to steer at most speeds.

The only time a non-power car is hard to steer is when you are trying to park it. Or any other time the car isn't really moving. Once you get moving, they are great to drive. But, most ladies will probably want p/s, plus anyone with strength problems, or arthritis. I have a bad shoulder (rotator cuff), so adding p/s to my Dart was a "must".

On the small A body I always go the other way and remove it.

my duster steered excellent without it even sitting still. in fact I prefer manual steering in an A body

I am in the process of having power steering added to
my '67 Barracuda at this time. It should be done this week
coming up. It was very difficult to steer at rest and parking.

If you got the stuff, I say go for it.

Manual steering is best: better road feel and no oil leaks-power steering always ends up making an oily mess. The lighter A Bodies don't need P/S anyway.

I've had/have both. Like you, a '69 Barracuda with a 340. I didn't really mind it with the small block. Now I have a '69 with a 383 that has power steering and clearly the reason the factory used it for the big blocks was front end weight. It's nice to have and DW likes it when she drives the car. I have manual in a '64 Hemi Dodge and its not bad at all but the steering wheel is much larger in diameter.

To add it to yours you'l not only need the box, pump, hoses and likely the correct crank pulley. You'l likely need to change out the steering shaft (because of length). Also, the input shaft at the steering box might be a different diameter (it was on my '64). which means a different coupler.

It is very possible and is done everyday, if it were me, I'd leave it manual. But it's your car and your choice. :) Keep us posted!

Welcome to FABO from the other side of State Line Rd!

I have no use for power steering in an A body. Unless you have some physical limitation as was mentioned above, you'll be fine. I even put a smaller steering wheel on mine and can maneuver in parking lots fine. Once the car breaks 10 mph you'll never notice the difference. I recently added a Firm Feel 20:1 ratio gear to my box, so we'll see how I feel about no power steering when I get it back on the road!

-
Back