Hughes HUG1110P valve springs- anyone use them?

-

AZ-Nick

Reaction score
Just trying to understand valve spring technology and usage!
Has anyone used the Hughes HUG1110P valve spring on a cam that has over .500 lift?
Yes No Issues?

IMG_5319.png

The specs look fine to me for that level of camshaft.
Just be sure to not short your installed height and maybe
even put them in a bit more (1.68 to 1.70) height,

As with any HP engine do not let it idle for extended
periods, especially when new.

Be sure lifters are rotating as the new cams and lifters
are Chinese plastic junk.

Just my .02
Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
I've used the HUG1110 over .500. No issues. I also used their retainers and locks (HUG 1199 kit). I have them on magnum heads

Last edited:
Ive used that spring at .530 lift on a mild hydraulic roller. Worked well, although rpm was never much above 5200.

Everything depends on what cam you are using. Hughes sells quality products, but they will try to sell you more than you need or want.

Why don’t you buy the recommended parts from the cam manufacturer. Your unlikely to find a bunch of silver bullets mixing and matching unless you have boat loads of experience and specific intent.

What heads are the springs for?
If using stock rockers on the rocker shaft you may need to clearance the rockers of they have not been ground already. It's easy to do, just leave enough room, I forgot how much my cardboard Guage was, I'm sure someone here knows how much.

20240314_203705.jpg

20240314_195446.jpg

Hughes sells quality products, but they will try to sell you more than you need or want.
Lol, thats true. When I tried to have them spec a cam for my grocery getter, it seemed like they wanted me to build a race car, or a mean machine.

I use a metal paper clip as a gauge for
clearance.

I would like more but with a 1.55 spring or larger
that we use it is a compromise between clearance and
strength left in the arm of rocker.

Hughes sells quality products, but they will try to sell you more than you need or want.
Lol, thats true.

Just curious, what exactly were they doing? I'm interested in your guy's experience and thoughts on this. I got one of their cams recently for a relatively mild 318 build, and in reading up on it, it was very strongly recommended on their site to use only their springs and lifters.

Just curious, what exactly were they doing? I'm interested in your guy's experience and thoughts on this. I got one of their cams recently for a relatively mild 318 build, and in reading up on it, it was very strongly recommended on their site to use only their springs and lifters.
While their springs are generally a good idea, they want to sell you their whole valve train as they say it matches, well I dont like their lifters. They make a big deal about spring wire lock rings failing and use stamped lock rings which they say are bulletproof. Well show me the data where spring lock rings fail. I have machined and installed the stamped lock rings they use. They are not bulletproof and they weigh more than spring wire ones. They make a big deal about stainless rocker arms galling. Theirs are extruded aluminum and I don’t use aluminum rockers on street engines cause they will eventually fail. From what I’ve been told they do sell killer cam grinds and their springs match their cams, but for other valve train components I feel there are better options out there and their hyperbole is all sales tactics.

-
Back