HURST DVFX-468 SHIFTER

-

Calsdart

Reaction score
I have been searching for the DVFX-468 shifter mechanism noted in Jim's book for my Hemi Dart Clone. Is there an alternate 4 speed shifter being used by other members of this forum.

I have been searching for the DVFX-468 shifter mechanism noted in Jim's book for my Hemi Dart Clone. Is there an alternate 4 speed shifter being used by other members of this forum.

Look for a mid sixtied Fairlane non consol shifter, this is correct. Or the off set handle used in cars with consol and straighten it. Quiet sure they also used the mechanism. SS cars look to have Ford mechanism reverse lever as well. To my knowlage A-body shifter reverse lever has a slight hook. If all A-body shifters have this hooked lever I don´t know for sure, but it make sense, Chrysler took the complete shifter and used it as it was. Possibly put a slightly longer reverse lever to make rod work better going under trans member.
Shifter house was painted black, since no sifter boot was used... but nothing I know for sure. This other smal case in shifter is zinc plated and welder handle of cause chrome plated.
I have an old shifter knob. It has a slight diffrent pattern marked in knob. if this knob is pre ´68, I don´t know, but it sure is a cool knob, since you can´t buy it new any more.
If you know what to look for, (and know what it looks like) there is a pic (left) of the shifter on page 43 in the SS Guide (J Schild)
Well to me it makes no sense Chrysler would have asked Hurst to make this shifter already found in a Ford, if this was what they wanted. Make no sense at all. Would only have cost them extra money and time...

Now lets see if the Big Guys and Historians, or what ever you wanna call them, can verify this, or tell the real story... They are always willing to help us (read me) wannabee´s... aren´t they...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info SSing. I appreciate it.

I talked to Bob Tarozzi about how consistent these cars were. He laughed at me tell me that there was nothing consistent about them. When he made the parts list and blue prints for different items they were set in stone. When the cars were assembled it was a free for all.
With that being said when it came to the shifters and assembly’s I know the shifter rods, shifter handle/shifter block and the shifter mounting block were all specific. When these cars we’re assembled they were running out of parts left and right. I always had the question of, why didn’t they use stock 383 shifters and assembly’s? Bay this time I believe they were using Hurst shifters. Did they not feel they were stiff enough? Parts availability?

I have a few original photos but none of them are interior shots of four speeds cars. I never heard that the shifters were pained black with no boots. Seems kinda funny being the shifter handle was welded the shifter so that means they masked off the chrome and painted it. Does not sound like something Hurst would do. I know the shifter was not in the correct location to use the original screws for the boots but if you moved the boot back +/-1” there is room. NHRA mandates that you must have a boot to keep smoke out so this seems odd to me. Do you have any photos of this??

Here is a photo Bob sitting in my car. We talked for a long time and the guy is as sharp as a tack.

6AE5BF4C-36EC-4915-B6FD-631E042FC823.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a mock up photo of my trans in the car along with my trans and shifter assembly. I know these are not 100% correct parts. But this is what I did and everything clears and works just fine. The bracket that holds the reverse lockout rod put the rod too close to the shifter handle. I fabricated a new bracket to kick the rod out 1/2“ All the photos I have with a boot had a separate hole for the rod to pop through.
05AD401A-13C1-4B38-AEA0-6D2C191B2109.jpeg
A371981D-CAD7-4A2A-BB12-7CDDCBCD62FA.jpeg
C210A2FF-08A8-4F2D-8589-317D7720B4A3.jpeg
9E3EA4C4-8B08-401D-A7E6-B9CC859FBB36.jpeg
8BADB499-994B-40B0-9079-C5C736168E9A.jpeg

Last edited:
This photo in the SS Guide was a good start. I have than found a few other pics to back it up.
As for the shifter rods, I use Hurst Super Shifter rods, except for the reverse rod.
Very confident with these parts together with the Adapter Mounting Plate a member here on the board offered.
With this adapter, shifter mechanism hits the hump. I mailed Mr. Tarozzi about it, and he said trimming sometime had to be done...
Jack Thomas early pic..jpg

Page 43 in very useful Jim Schild´s booklet.
Pic taken very soon after delivery.
But no, of cause it wouldn´t hold up in court...

Ok, I think that is Larry’s car but looking at the Tach and the other equipment up on the dash I’ll bet that picture was taken mid 70s but still a good photo!!

Ok, I think that is Larry’s car but looking at the Tach and the other equipment up on the dash I’ll bet that picture was taken mid 70s but still a good photo!!

Mid seventies... and not even a six point cage? After a couple of years, very few still had this shifter. That´s why they are so poorly documented. Imagin doing something to the trans... This shifter was soon swaped for a Super Shifter and than the Veti Gate...

Btw what shifter is that? I see shifter reverse lever is straight, not hooked like A-Body shifter normaly have...
And Reverse Rod? Original or fabricated?
I have both styles both fit the reverse rod

And still not one single good picture of an original SS 4-speed shifter in a Forum like this and in this specific thread like this.
Very strange to say the least...
I have manage, with help of a handful old pictures, to get the Shifter Handle correct but wouldn´t it be interesting to actually see a couple of good shots of a DVFX-468 shifter to show what the shifter really looks like?
And what does DVFX-468 stand for?
20170312 SS Shifter A Forum.jpg

-
Back