hurst shifter hang up

-

terry

Reaction score
hi folks
i have one of those issues that seem to happen sometimes twice in a week or once in 2 months
when i go to shift from second gear to third the shifter seems to hang up in between the gears and the trans is stuck in second, nothing seems to help getting it in neutral again except going under the car and putting a wrench on the nut on the shift lever then turning it clockwise and it always goes right into neutral very easy and the problem will not happen again.
car is 68 barracuda 360,4-speed with hurst competition plus shifter
hope i have covered all info
thanks
terry

2 things can do that

worn shifter
or miss align shifter rod

first thing you need to do is readjust the rod
do you how to do it

crazy 340
the shifter is new and i even had hurst rebuild it for me because of a different problem. i have adjusted the rods a couple of times seeing that they are straight rods with this shifter they seem to be aligned correctly but you never know maybe i just need to adjust the rod another turn to get the correct alignment

Are you putting a "pin" in the hole on the shifter when doing the adjustment?

Also..... Grab the balancer on the front of the engine and give it a pull and a push. Thrust bearing could be going out and this can cause intermittent shifting problems.

Are you putting a "pin" in the hole on the shifter when doing the adjustment?

when all the levers on the shifter are centered there is a hole that you need to place a pin in to lock them in place

then make sure all the levers on the trans are in the neutral position

next adjust and then install the shifter rods

1968 formula, i do install the pin in the shifter but have never tried the balancer movement before.
caferacerx, those are the steps i do indeed for adjusting.
do you folks feel there is any difference in adjusting the linkage with the weight of the car on the ground as opposed to having it up on axel stands????

Wouldn't make any difference if car is on jackstands or not. Don't know the condition of your trans but worst case scenario would be worn shifter fork/sleeve binding under pressure. Only seen this once before on my trans but it did happen- fixed it and trans shifted great.(You might also check bushing where shifter arm goesthrough side cover, just to check all bases).

-
Back