Hurst shifters - what are the differences?

-
A

Ace

Well, the old 4-sp on my '74 Duster (which is a 340 clone BTW - no telling where the parts came from before I got it) was shifting pretty sloppy, won't go into 3rd gear right. So I redo the hack-job hump (boot plate screwed to the carpet - no ****). Weld in a good new hump with enough clearance to actually remove the shifter if need be. I think that was the main problem - shift lever hitting the floor before it would properly engage 3rd.

Then I get a new (used) shifter on eBay - comp plus. Pretty nice - clean, feels tight. One (at least) problem, though - the reverse level is about a half inch shorter than the old one, and I cannot make it work to save my A$$! I managed to get everything re-connected and adjusted (or so it would seem), but that thing will not ever go into more than one gear at a time, no matter what.

I'm guessing this model shifter is not compatible with my tranny for some reason - shorter shift levers maybe? Dunno...

I just junked the hurst short throw in my 73 duster for the stock hurst shifter. Much better but sometimes 2nd in a lil finicky, could be the synchros.

I broke the threaded end off my reverse rod trying to adjust swivel. It was rusted so bad that I twisted it off. I bought a reproduction one through Anderson automotive. The unit came back shorter than the original but only the threading on the end. The levers were shaped exactly the same except for the threaded forward end was shorter by about 7/16-1/2". I can adjust the swivel to work but the very front of the swivel's female theads aren't in contact with the lever(about 2 threads). I got another shifter with rods as part of another deal later and the reverse rod was longer like my original.

So, I have two but I bet my shorter one is like yours.

Why would you want it to go into more than 1 gear at a time? The factory hurst shifter was essentially a comp plus without the stop bolts and the bushings in the shift levers. You should probably be able to contact hurst for replacement parts. All chrysler 4speeds are essentially the same.

Sorry I meant it would only go into one gear - period. I finally figured it out by trial and error. This shifter is not adjusted according to every source I could find, including Chiltons, Allpar and at least one post on this board. So I spent about two days attempting to adjust it according to everyone's instructions - wrong!

I haven't conatcted Hurst to find out why, because it now works great. BUT, it is adjusted correctly with all three levers in significantly "different" positions - not lined at all - not even close. Has anyone got a shifter like this? The guy I got it from said it came out of a Duster. Anyway, problem solved. Tks...

-
Back