HVH Super sucker?

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Hi guys! Finally got my Ultra XP 850 dialed in as close as I can get it. Mostly thanks to all the suggestions I got from you all. But I checked all my plugs today and I have a couple that look rich. My Super Victor has been deep ported and I'm wondering if a Super Sucker might even out the flow. I have 1/2 inch clearance to spare.

The rich plugs are #4 and #5.

The one I was looking at extends 1/2 inch into the plenum and a half inch above the intake. Heard some pretty good things about these but pretty pricey if it doesn't help me.

Enlighten me boys!

I have seen mixed reviews on them. About 50/50 but ZERO benefit
on our Superstocker.

You can always buy it try it and resell if it does work for your combo and
not lose a bunch of money.

Before I did that I would get a Magna Fuel anti reversion plate.

They aren't horribly expensive and they do what they do better than an HVH type spacer.

You might be surprised what an open hole 2 inch spacer would do.

There was a guy on another forum [ he still posts today ] that claimed when he added a 1" open spacer on his Torker intake...it added 102 hp. 'Course if it was true, Summit would continually be out of stock of $20/102 hp spacers.....

Hi guys! Finally got my Ultra XP 850 dialed in as close as I can get it. Mostly thanks to all the suggestions I got from you all. But I checked all my plugs today and I have a couple that look rich. My Super Victor has been deep ported and I'm wondering if a Super Sucker might even out the flow. I have 1/2 inch clearance to spare.

The rich plugs are #4 and #5.

The one I was looking at extends 1/2 inch into the plenum and a half inch above the intake. Heard some pretty good things about these but pretty pricey if it doesn't help me.

Enlighten me boys!

if , you have access to a flow bench , you might try working on those 2 intake runners -----

When I dyno’d my engine we measured the AFR for each cylinder and found different spacers effected the distribution . My # 7 cylinder was way out of whack… I later found that my rockers on #7 were out of adjustment . I did a prerun valve adjust but must not have gotten the cam position right when I did 7.
Moral of the story is triple check your valve adjustment.

IMG_6033.jpeg

IMG_6042.jpeg

Before I did that I would get a Magna Fuel anti reversion plate.

They aren't horribly expensive and they do what they do better than an HVH type spacer.

You might be surprised what an open hole 2 inch spacer would do.
Oh I know what a 2 inch spacer can do. However as I said, I have a half inch hood clearance to spare.

Maybe I'll get her nice and warm and go over the valves again.

It’s hard to say one way or the other. I’ve seen an open spacer pick up 8 on a dual plane and kill 5 on a single plane. Then a 4 hole pick up 12 on a single and kill 3 on a dual plane. The best all around spacer I’ve seen that seems to work on just about everything is a Wilson tapered combo. I’ve seen it not make much, but I’ve never seen it loose. As for helping distribution, I’d say that is very combo dependent and you’ll have to do some testing. What I can tell you is a spacer will change the signal to your carb and your tune up will probably have to change with it.

How is the flow distribution between cylinders in the intake cfm wise and if it’s only a deep porting of the runner, the plenum was never addressed and should be del with if you can.

The “Rich” cylinders are the better flowing ones and the other ones need port work at the entrance under the carb.

On my bracket car, I tried different single plane manifolds with various height spacers. The combination that works best on my car id the Holley Strip Dominator and the 2" HVH super sucker. Others results may vary, this is just works best on my car for 1/8th mile racing.

How is the flow distribution between cylinders in the intake cfm wise and if it’s only a deep porting of the runner, the plenum was never addressed and should be del with if you can.

The “Rich” cylinders are the better flowing ones and the other ones need port work at the entrance under the carb.
Plenum was done also. Not a "max effort" but sure looks way different than it did before. VERY experienced guy. Did my heads also.
Honestly I'm sorry I bought that friggin Ulra XP carb. Way too much effort to get it close......fought it for 3 years. Now it's really close but.......I may be asking too much for a near 600 horse smallblock. I want the best of both worlds like anyone.

I think Holley created a piece of crap for such big money.

Think I'll take Turk's suggestion and get a Magnafuel anti reversion plate. His and others' prior tips is what finally got me almost there. My whole tune may change, but it might just help distribution.

Last edited:
Plenum was done also. Not a "max effort" but sure looks way different than it did before. VERY experienced guy. Did my heads also.
Honestly I'm sorry I bought that friggin Ulra XP carb. Way too much effort to get it close......fought it for 3 years. Now it's really close but.......I may be asking too much for a near 600 horse smallblock. I want the best of both worlds like anyone.

I think Holley created a piece of crap for such big money.

Think I'll take Turk's suggestion and get a Magnafuel anti reversion plate. His and others' prior tips is what finally got me almost there. My whole tune may change, but it might just help distribution.
Let us know how that plate works out for you.

-
Back