Hydraulic Clutch Advice

-

Dartman61

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I’ve got a 1967 Dart GT convertible that I stuffed a 440 in. I have an 11-inch clutch and bell housing and have used both a mechanical Z bar and linkage,as well as a hydraulic set up. I currently have a Hydraulic cylinder setup that mounts on the transmission and pulls the clutch fork to release the clutch. None of the setups I have tried provided me with the easy clutch operation I would like. I’m getting ready to try one more configuration – A hydraulic clutch that mounts on the front of the transmission. I’m looking at the Ram P/N 78143, 78143 - HYDRAULIC RELEASE BEARING - CHRYSLER - RAM Clutches

Has anyone got experience with Ram or similar type of throw out bearing? By going to this can I expect an easier clutch pedal? – I’m trying something different this time as I’m asking the question before I purchased and tried to install

Hi Folks

I’ve got a 1967 Dart GT convertible that I stuffed a 440 in. I have an 11-inch clutch and bell housing and have used both a mechanical Z bar and linkage,as well as a hydraulic set up. I currently have a Hydraulic cylinder setup that mounts on the transmission and pulls the clutch fork to release the clutch. None of the setups I have tried provided me with the easy clutch operation I would like. I’m getting ready to try one more configuration – A hydraulic clutch that mounts on the front of the transmission. I’m looking at the Ram P/N 78143, 78143 - HYDRAULIC RELEASE BEARING - CHRYSLER - RAM Clutches

Has anyone got experience with Ram or similar type of throw out bearing? By going to this can I expect an easier clutch pedal? – I’m trying something different this time as I’m asking the question before I purchased and tried to install
I'm using the American Powertrain kit in my E-Body with a 440 & Passon 5-speed. It works great, wasn't hard to install and has an amazing pedal feel. It's not cheap, but it is well matched as far as pedal effort goes.

I'm using the kit that Passon sells, I believe it's the Eastside Motorsports Kit. I had to fab up a custom mount for the master cylinder due to interference with my exhaust. The throwout bearing on the trans fit, but I needed to buy additional spacers. The kit didn't come with enough, and then the shaft that it rides on was too short. Both were easy fixes to make, but for the price, I feel like I shouldn't have had to modify anything.

Overall I am happy with it. The clutch pedal feels very similar to clutches in modern performance cars. I would use it again if I was doing the swap again.

Here is the kit, they don't list it, but I was able to get one for a 23 spline trans.

-
Back