Hydraulic clutch or stock linkage?

-

coolhandluke

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting stuff together to change my '65 dart gt from floor shift automatic over to a four speed. I read the thread on using the wilwood hydraulic master and slave cylinder and am wonderinf if I should (or what the advantages would be) of the hydraulic system over the stock z bar and rods. I'd rather run the 10 1/2 bellhousing, but I know brewers makes the z bar and stuff to use the later bell in an early a body.
Anyway, advice or opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks guys!
Luke
Here's a picture of my baby anyway, I got it off here from a great gentleman in Illinois close to a year ago now

eh.. I say run the stock mechanical clutch linkage. easy to set up, designed for these cars, and flat out works.

i'm happy with my mechanical linkage...

Never tried wilwood, so can't speak to quality. What I do know is, at least in the case of Ford F-150's, they stink. On a highway driven v-6 with 5 speed, I had to drop the tranny 4 times in 6 years for slave cylinder replacement. No abuse of the clutch or bearing, little towing.

The idea is/was for ease of installation and major savings on parts production....the result was a poor design and a consumer hassle. thanks anyway, just give me a cable or z-bar, I'll lube it regularly...and replace it easily if it gets worn out.

Enjoy it either way- pretty car!

if brewers hs 10.5 that is the later stuff,your 66 originaqlly came with a 9 inch clutch with a v8,,,if you go with linkage,im dont know if brewers has the frame ball stud mount or if he has adapted something,, i have a frame ball stud mount for that car,,,it is original to 1963 64 65 66 A body only,,,its for sale,,

the advantage to a hyd set up is clearance around headers it much better,,,if you dont get the correct linkage parts it will bind,,,if you run a big clutch heavy presssure plate with linkage,,,you will need a big foot to push the pedal and you will have to makea a fire wall brace,,,hyd is much easier on your legs,,

-
Back