I don't wanna google this

-
Not sure what the "book" timing is but mine always ran good and didnt ping between 10-15 degrees BTDC.

Buddy of mine looked it up in his book,the factory setting is 2 1/2 degrees BTDC,maybe experience is better than the factory setting

Whatever it runs best at after almost 50 years. Set a glass of water on the cowl and where it vibrates the least, there you go.

Whatever it runs best at after almost 50 years. Set a glass of water on the cowl and where it vibrates the least, there you go.

Should one use tap water or bottled water during this test, and would aqueous crystal, or plain old glass be advised for the containment vessel to be used?

Should one use tap water or bottled water during this test, and would aqueous crystal, or plain old glass be advised for the containment vessel to be used?
The type of water would vary with the vehicle type. If you owned a Demon you would want to use "holy water" to check the timing.

Honcho, You won't be happy a 2 1/2. Like the others have said set it at what runs best. Give yourself 10 BTDC as a starting point,go from there.My Valiant is at 16 BTDC now and it likes it.(Timing chain stretch) Also if you find you run out of adjustment at the block tab bolt there is another bolt under the distributor that mounts the bracket that is slotted for more adjustment if needed.

Hey guys and girls, I just was thinking (due to gas at $5.00 per gallon) what timing would give the best mileage/performance for a city traffic fighter?
-Ken
PS- coffee cup [black-no sugar] on the air cleaner!

Hey guys and girls, I just was thinking (due to gas at $5.00 per gallon) what timing would give the best mileage/performance for a city traffic fighter?
-Ken

Timing is everything:
A few hours after evening rush hour to just before morning rush hour, streets should be fairly devoid of fellow drivers.

Gee, after 50 years maybe its time to do an overhaul or at least a timing chain and valve job. Ya think ?

Unless your going for the 'Al Bundy' drive it 'till it dies award. :)

Thanks for all the advice,this engine has recently been overhauled,less than 19,000 miles on her,when I bought her,I had another valve job done to her because of the bad gas and old oil in her. So we gonna mess with timing and see if we can get her to run as smooth as a baby's butt.

Thanks for all the advice,this engine has recently been overhauled,less than 19,000 miles on her,when I bought her,I had another valve job done to her because of the bad gas and old oil in her. So we gonna mess with timing and see if we can get her to run as smooth as a baby's butt.

Run the timing up to where it likes it. Don't get stuck on the book numbers. The engine will let you know if you have too much.

-
Back