I lowered my Valiant yesterday. No, I do not like the look.

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
I knew the hinge notch should have been deeper, but I listened to the saw pros for the first time ever and was in a hurry so I didn't listen to myself or think it through the million times I usually do. That elm was 24" in diameter at the trunk.

Screenshot_20240915-001632~2.png

I'm not upset. It missed the house, garage, and eight cars I DID move to a quarter mile away. It's just that Valiant has been sitting forever and is the hardest to move (it's had a massive wasp nest in it this year), and I figured if the tree was going to go any direction but the one I wanted it to go, it would have hit house, three-phase power lines, or myself. It went 90 degrees to the hinge cut, but it could have gone MUCH worse.

The Valiant actually took it like a champ. The hood was so rusty underneath that last time I opened it, it started to buckle, so no loss there (and I already have a spare hood). The roof part sucks but it was already dented and I have a spare for that, too. The windshield was already cracked. Only other damage is a pulled drip rail over the driver's side rear door. No trim on this car! The car popped right back up after I cut the limb off the car and no massive cloud of flying angry assholes like I was expecting.

Anyone know if the windshield and trim from a '73 Valiant four door is the same? I might just section the front half if it is. Otherwise, I have a complete spare roof in the garage.

No hospital visits, morgues, or government officials had to get involved, so imma say this could've been much worse. Other people have it worse than you do, so don't forget that.

Edited to add, blue Dakota didn't get a scratch.

I'd try a Porta Power on the roof before replacing it. Get the windshield lip back to where it's supposed to be and see if the skin will get close with hammer & dolly. Glad you didn't get hurt!

24s always look like crap on cars
glad you got it off

on the bright side, now there is nothing stopping you from making it a convertible

-
Back