I Need a Slant 6 Ventura county

-

Dartis

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I thought I'd introduce myself.
I just purchased a 65' Dart the cleanest car ever! I seriously think the engine may be original (like from the factory) no wires have ever been cut (not even for a radio). Daily driver before engine quit working. I definitely have a blown head gasket, and one of the cylinders isn't getting compression. Nonetheless, I'm lovin' it! My big bright idea is to find a Slant 6 to put in it while I rebuild the engine...whadda think?

Welcome from NorCal. 1965 engines have 3 core ("freeze") plugs. Later engines (70's?) have 5 core plugs all in a line. I attach a chart of casting numbers. I thought the 3-core slant in my 64 was original, but found it isn't (casting 2463430-8 means 1966). I couldn't interpret the stamp on mine behind the alternator bracket (V 22 8 14). I attach other info for a rebuild.

It is fairly easy to remove the head with the block in the car. I even did that on my 69 Dart long ago when still a dumF kid. I would do that if a head gasket leak is your only and true problem. I would spend some time diagnosing first. Head gasket leaks are fairly rare in these cast iron heads. I think they are more likely from corrosion than anything else. Most commonly, it would cause 2 adjacent cylinders to show low compression. If you do remove the head, have hardened valve seats installed on the exhaust, or use a later head with hardened seats. Much info searching here or on www.slantsix.org.

If you do install a later engine, after a certain year (1968?), the hole in the crankshaft for the torque converter's snout (if auto) is bigger, so you need a special ring to fill the gap. If not, your transmission will probably self-destruct. Charrlie_S sells the ring for $20. I would keep your 65 tranny (if auto) since that is 1-year only, with the cable-shift and standard pattern. It would be a lot of research and thinking to change it. It is a neat tranny anyway. Did you know you can push start those cars? Not possible after 1965 (no rear pump).

Attachments

• slant six casting numbers.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 125
  • slant cam grinds.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 145
  • slant six manifold tightening.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 127
I got one sitting in my garage, come down and get it free. Youll need your head though, and a few gaskets. Good compression. OC, south of LA.

Bill,

Thank you so much for all your great info, especially about the ring on the tranny. Yes, the tranny is auto, and as you put it so well gonna take some time to get a clearer diagnosis of what's goin' on.

Pishta,

I'm interested and like to know more info...but I'm headed off to work so I'll get in touch later tonight.

Hey Everyone,

I thought I'd introduce myself.
I just purchased a 65' Dart the cleanest car ever! I seriously think the engine may be original (like from the factory) no wires have ever been cut (not even for a radio). Daily driver before engine quit working. I definitely have a blown head gasket, and one of the cylinders isn't getting compression. Nonetheless, I'm lovin' it! My big bright idea is to find a Slant 6 to put in it while I rebuild the engine...whadda think?

Have you removed the Valve cover to make sure you don't have a bent push rod or a valve or 2 need's to be adjusted if the intake valve is staying closed that cylinder will not have compression, and if any of them are burnt they will leek down and not hold compression, there is some good tech help in this thread, they have helped me allot . Welcome and enjoy this great site :cheers:

x2
Good point Mike, I read the post and didn't think slants were prone to blowing head gaskets unless you're pushing 30lbs of boost into it :D

I've got a good used head for you (in Long Beach) you can pick it up on the way down!

I also have a cheap new timing set and some other parts.

I know a guy who has a running motor and tranny down here in Inland Empire.

if interested, ping me.

Guys,

This is Fantastic! What a great site! I finished paying off the Dart today and am gonna start tearing into it tomorrow...thank you for all of the great offers and I'm paying close attention to each and every one of them. I'm so excited

I forgot to mention..it does need to be a 225...but I'm sure all of you experts knew that already!

-
Back