I think I have a MSD problem!?

-

briankaplan

greenduster
Reaction score
Here's what I got guys. Drove to a show and noticed that the tach would jump at times( about a couple hundred rpm's). Not to bad at first, then more so. Now it misses at higher rpm's under a load. It will idle and rev up all day with no load on it.
what do you guys think? The MSD box was built in 1999. So maybe it is starting to take a dump? It's a 6al box. Anybody ever have this problem?

I would say if nothing has changed ( routing of wires ) I would check the connections, distributor cap & plugs first. but, it wouldn't be the first or last MSD box that died.

Little different situation for me a few years back on my Jeep. Motor did the same thing yours is doing. Switched back to the original ignition on my Jeep and all was fine. When I took the MSD box out of the Jeep I noticed water dripping out of the box. Definitely not going to be covered by any warranty. So I took out the grommet around the wires and hung the box up with the wires pointing down for a few weeks to dry out. On a whim, I reinstalled it and to my surprise it worked as if new.

Thanks much guys. I found an original Chrysler ignition box. Going to give it a try tomorrow. Now I have to figure what wires go to the coil on original wiring. Lost all my books. Searching the net.

-
Back