I think this spray paint looks like Cadmium Plating. What do you think?

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I have been experimenting for a while trying to find something that resembled cadmium plating. I am not going for perfection, but I thing this looks pretty good. It is Eastwood's Tank Tone paint. It is for gas tanks, and I think t has zinc in it. I spray a tack coat, then two medium coats about 5 minutes apart. Then, after about 5 minutes, I spray a light mist coat and hold the can way further away from the part. I want the paint to NOT flow out and be about half dry when it hits. Use quick short sprays on this last coat. This will give a bit more texture and less gloss. I powder coated the distributor with Eastwood's Semi Gloss Black and sprayed the oiling tube, vacuum canister and vacuum hose (all attached to the distributor). Ignore the other shiny silver tube to the right of the distributor. Per the customer's request, I powder coated it with chrome powder and a clear coat.
Dist.JPG

I've been using krylon "battery protectant" as a stand in for gold cad.

covered with gloss coat

a bit dark but works as a stand in.

Silver cad paint looks like well, silver paint.

cad plating.jpg

I think this is actually a clear zinc coating, not actually cadmium. The Eastwood clear inc paint was the worse I tried.

Alan

One amazing thing about that Eastwood "zinc" gas tank paint is that gasoline will easily remove it! The stuff is crap as far as I can tell. And I agree with the above... it looks nothing like cadmium plating.

dichromte at home.....not cyanide process cadmium plating but still a zinc based goldish color.

-
Back