I want an inside Hood Release in my '71 Duster. Can't find -'71- only '72-'76. Will they work?

-

Donniedon

Reaction score
I want an Inside Hood Release for my 1971 Plymouth Duster. After Checking around, I find A Body 1972-'76 Hood Release Cables, with dash mounts, but nothing for a '71. Anyone else have the same problem? Any suggestions? My first Restoration. I'd like to get this right.

the 71 didnt come with a inside hood release (not to the best of my knowledge, at least)

so, find one from a later model and retrofit

welcome to hotrodding

Thanks. I was just hoping that the latches are not too different from '71 to '72. I hate to go through all the work of installation of the cable on the inside, only to find out it will not hook up to the hood latch.

I’ve heard the cable releases and latches from a mid 80’s pickup can be adapted.

Are you looking for security or ease?
Because if you just want it for ease, you could drill a hole in the existing latch and attach a cable to that

LOLOL When I was stationed at NAS Miramar, "we" had the walking talking US Navy twin to "Frank Burns" (MASH). So, he bought a little Toyota. Bear in mind this is early 70's. And he made the mistake fo bragging that "I'd like to see someone try and steal THAT it has an inside hood release."

So one afternoon "we had the duty" worked 24 on/ 48 off, "Frank" was off doing something, skinny me reached up through the bottom with a pair 'o pliers and released the hood and pulled the coil wire

"Hilarity insued" LOLOL

Hi: I searched and found that "Year One" sells an A Body 1970-76 Hood Release. I had the unpleasant experience of using my Dad's Duster to watch a my younger brother play a High School football while I was in College (1975). I was home for a weekend. My dads last words to me were " Park under some lights to protect the car". So I did. After the game, I found the hood of the Duster open, and the battery gone. I gave them plenty of light to lift the battery! My dad had me buy a battery the next day, along with a hood lock-- by securing the lock to the frame and then the hood, and have a short chain, with a key to open it up. I'm hoping the Hood Release will work, but I have my plan 'B" ready, just in case.

You're looking at a cable and a latch. You will need to get it from a later model car that used inside releases and figure out how to mount the control inside, string the cable, and modify the latch mounting if needed. I bet the latch mounts like yours does with just 2 bolts. Like your hood latch, I mounted a electric trunk latch from a later model Mopar, on my 70 Swinger and wired it with a remote control and key fob. It was easy and works great. The late model latch replaced my manual latch without modifications and the manual key release still works.

Wow! I looked through ALL of your pictures. You are quite the Mopar Mechanic! You put most car assembly lines to shame! I'll have to post some pictures of my Duster soon. I don't do the mechanic work. I was hit by a car in my own driveway in April of 2018. A lady wanted to make a 3-point turn, and used my driveway to make the turn, while I was washing my 2014 Dodge Dart in my Driveway. Only--She didn't go in reverse, and panicked and pressed the gas all the way down. As this car charged at me, I jumped to get out of its way. I didn't jump quite far enough, and her two left tires ran over my right leg/foot and crushed it. I was in bed for 8 months with rods sticking out from all over my leg/foot. I was in an external fixator. I had to rent a hospital bed at home, and got around on one leg and a walker for 8 months. I've had 9 surgeries on the leg to save it, ( Two were grafting surgeries ) the 8th and 9th surgeries since I bought my Duster last August (2020). The Duster was a gift to myself, as I promised the car to myself, if I ever walked again, since it was my Dads favorite car that he bought new in 1971. I bought it from him to go to College and Graduate School for my Masters, and then sold it back to my Dad for one dollar, as he retired the same year that I finished school. I had the Duster painted, the interior redone, and a valve job done on the engine, and gave the keys and the Pink Slip back to my Dad , as a Retirement Present. Wow! was he ever surprised and DELIGHTED!! So-the Duster was in our family for 19 years!! A drunk driver totaled the Duster one night, by the curb, in front of my folks home, and my Dad treated it like a death in the family. So- I looked for a '71 Duster, while in that hospital bed, and for a slant six, since that was our family car. The Duster I bought was a Navy Blue car, with a hood scoop, and LONG leaf spring shackles that had the rear end sticking way up in the air. ( My suspicion is that a teenager once owned it). I wanted to return the car to a more " stock" or factory look. Never having taken on a project like this before, I decided to start with the chassis and work up. Eight months later, I have the chassis ( front end suspension all redone & steering column rebuilt). Front and Rear Brakes are installed, as is a single tailpipe and muffler. The car had dual exhaust, but that seems a little silly for a slant six engine. Entire chassis was sand-blasted and then coated with a rust protective rubber- like substance. Rebuilt engine ( 225 Slant Six Engine) and Rebuilt Automatic Transmission with all new engine parts like alternator, radiator, hoses, fan belt, etc. I had MOPAR Electronic Ignition Installed, and aftermarket Air Conditioning, since I live in California. To keep the car temp down, I bought a 160 degree thermostat, a fan shroud, and went from the factory 4 - Blade fan to a 6- Blade fan. New window washer plastic container ( the other one broke into little pieces as I tried to take it off to clean it), along with an electric motor was installed. The heater box had crumbled into pieces of dust, so I had to go looking for a heater box. I needed Heater/Defroster cables too. I have them now and installed. My Duster got a new Differential & set of Ring and Pinion gears. Gears are different from 7.25 original Differential, as I went with 15 inch Summit Racing Stock Rallye Wheels. I also purchased Center Caps, and Chrome Trim Rings. New Leaf Springs, new set of Short Leaf Shackles ( to lower the car), Universal Joints, & new Gas Tank with straps round out most of the work. Car has been in Auto body Shop since late January, getting prepped for painting. I'm going with B-5 Blue. I splurged and bought a rear spoiler for the trunk. Most of the exterior Chrome has to be replaced, like door handles, mirrors, emblems, etc. I bought a new- 1971 Duster Tire Jack, ( There was no jack) and the instructions on how to use jack, I purchased and placed on inside of trunk lid. All rubber weather- stripping was purchased for trunk, doors and engine hood. New upper/lower molding and Headlight Bezels complete front grille, as do new head-lights. As for the Interior, all is Metallic Blue: New Headliner, new visors, carpeting, seat covers, Door panels, chrome door handle, new arm rest pads, all new chrome parts on exterior/interior of door, new Blue Dashpad, "Made-to-fit " Woodgrain on Dash and Glovebox, new Fuel, Temp & Speedometer gauges on instrument panel. I watched a You Tube Video on how to restore the Instrument Panel, and followed the lesson religiously. That leaves me with that Hood Latch. I sure have learned a lot in the process. I knew what a Differential did, but now I know there are different sizes, and different gear ratios depending on your tire size. If I had to offer someone starting out with a car restoration for the 1st time, I would make the following suggestions. #1.) Make a detailed plan on "how" you are going to restore your car #2.) Make a budget #3.) Try to follow points #1 & #2 at all times! I will leave you with this question. I hear so much about a Classic Car being " rotisseried ". What does that term mean? My Best to you! You really know so much about a Mopar engine. Unbelievable to view your pictures!!

Last edited:
-
Back