I went rogue...

-

Krooser

Building Chinese Free Engines since 1959...
Reaction score
Bought a '73 VW Super Beetle.

Been looking for an older Beetle for some time but I have been priced out of the market.

Found this on FB Marketplace...asking $1600 paid $1300.

Not a lot of rust...battery box is toast. Cranks but wont start. I have a good friend who is a VW Guru coming to my rescue once I get it home.

Farfromnewagain.....
IMG_20210705_122245667.jpg
IMG_20210705_122213247.jpg
IMG_20210705_122231363.jpg

So what makes it a Super Beetle? I've always wondered. I heard someone say once it's the curved windshield, but I know that's not right. What is?

So what makes it a Super Beetle? I've always wondered. I heard someone say once it's the curved windshield, but I know that's not right. What is?

McPherson Strut front end instead of the standard Beetle beam, in addition to the curved windshield and “dashboard”

1. Curved windshield
2. Longer-maybe wheelbase, maybe just body, I’m not sure
3. More of a dash, with a bump for the speedometer rather than just flat across
There’s a few other things, I can’t remember right now, my dad inherited grandmas super beetle years ago & told me some of the differences

Very cool! My neighbor has a fully restored 63(ish)? It's a convertible looks like a brand new car! Pretty cool car!

I like transporters, ghia wolfbergs,square backs.

All are just German beer cans with wheels.

Been in wrecks in 2 busses when I was a kid. Not enough in the front..dads broken toes..lol then the overheating bs.
Heads working loose after miles..

I had a 68 beetle for my work driver back in 1983-84, sold it to a guy at work and he made a rail buggy with the drivetrain.

Drove one once .... that was enough for me . Pedal placement made me crazy .
I do however appreciate the styling and nostalgia .
Here is a bus I ran accross a few weeks ago while at a resort in the mountains.
I offered him $20,000 cash on the spot ... he refused my offer . Lol
D22C4BE4-0DE7-4809-8657-6F311FB0C9E4.jpeg
96B4C7C5-A8D3-41EA-A488-4256E4FA309A.jpeg
0C79C085-E5E0-4558-8976-62200F5D9D25.jpeg
F7D0FA41-5BFD-4825-A252-93D7D57156A6.jpeg

gregneddy.jpg

My desert racer was pretty much the same as this one. I didn't have the '59 Cadillac tail lights though :lol:
1200cc of earth shaking horsepower :lol: class rules don't ya know.
Make sure ya carry a spare fan belt. If need be a 6 pack of beverages in aluminum cans can get you home with the right sized hole in the can and placing them in the proper places :lol: in case the generator/alternator seizes. DON'T PULL THE TABS! :lol:

1. Curved windshield
2. Longer-maybe wheelbase, maybe just body, I’m not sure
3. More of a dash, with a bump for the speedometer rather than just flat across
There’s a few other things, I can’t remember right now, my dad inherited grandmas super beetle years ago & told me some of the differences
was told thay had a couple more inches in front leg room area to, cuzion is big bug nut, had bout 400 at one time run a shop/yard called the bug barn on nc/va line at eden nc/axton va back in 80s an 90s...

Looks like you got a pretty good deal !! Good luck !!

This is pretty funny.

I have to admit, it’s not too fun driving a 60 horsepower car in a world of 300 horsepower Minivans and 400 horsepower pickup trucks and NO ONE obeying speed limits and apparently everyone is late to where they want to get to.

In my city the driving is over the top aggressive…

Last edited:
I have to admit, it’s not too fun driving a 60 horsepower car and a world of 300 horsepower Minivans and 400 horsepower pickup trucks and NO ONE obeying speed limits and apparently everyone is late to where they want to get to.

I’m my city the driving is over the top aggressive…

Friend took his '65 Bug to Irwindale Raceway one Saturday night, Nitro show. In between rounds was usually RWYB, just get in the staging lanes and wait your turn. Off he goes to get the Bug. Finally he get to the water box, 1 little squeak :lol:. Lights go green and off he goes:steering:. 19,20,21,22, 23, 23.40 in the pit side lane! " We went to the concession stand at the green, but we made it back to see you in the top end lights." :rofl: "Ahhh F#$% you guys." :rofl:

-
Back