ID mystery circuit in 66 Barracuda

-

Miranthis

Reaction score
When disassembling my 66 Barracuda i found a 'mystery' circuit in the passenger footwell. Picture is attached. It is a single light green wire with a male blade, bound to a black wire that is grounded to the footwall with the heater ground wire. The other end of the bound wires was curled up in the footwell and had been cut together at the end. It is probably 1.5 to 2.5 feet of wire and cut at the end. Appears never to have been attached to anything, but it looks like some sort of power supply and ground to something.

I cannot find this wire on the wiring diagrams in the service manual or the commercially available colored chart. I would have assumed that it was a speaker, but the only speaker is in the top center of the dash and not the footwells or doors. Is this some option or something? My car did NOT have factory AC, but could it be a temp sensor or something associated with AC. Any Ideas?

20241013_125126.jpg

Maybe for the Auto console? I have the Manual console.
Looking more deeply at the at the wiring diagrams, on the interior wiring diagram (fig. 15 of the 66 Service Manual, Chapter 8), there are 5 light green circuits (and no light green in the body circuit - Fig. 17):
  1. C1A - a circuit in the factory AC harness that feeds the "air conditioning and heater vacuum switch" from the fuse block (fig 16, page 24-11)
  2. C6A - an AC harness circuit the runs from the ac and heater resister bypass switch to the ac and heater blower switch (same location as above).
  3. D6 - runs from the steering column harness pin 1 to bulkhead connector R.
  4. D6A - runs inside the steering column from the left front signal to pin 1 of the steering column connector.
  5. L2 - runs from the H terminal on the Headlamp switch to the middle pole of the high beam floor switch.
None of these is paired with a black wire.

There are 2 light greens in the console circuit (fig. 19):
  • X3 - feed from the 4 prong Instrument panel connector wiring for Automatic trans
  • X3A - Single prong feed from "cigar lighter feed cable on Instrument panel" to cigar lighter for manual Transmission
Each of these is paired with a black wire (X2 and X2B, respectively) grounded to the "right side cowl" with a ring terminal.

This could be it, as I have the manual console, but there are no connectors on the end of the lt green or black wires whereas the diagram shows a right-angle rubber connector for the lt. green (+) feed and a female spade for the black ground (-) wire. Also, there was a cigar lighter in the console, already wired and not connected to the mystery wires. I will check the console to see how the existing lighter is wired as report back.

Last edited:
-
Back