Identifying a shifter and shifter handle

-

Elís Máni

Reaction score
Hello!
Can someone help me identify this shifter and shifter handle, what car did it come from, is it a console handle?
The transmission has no vin on the side but has what looks to be a date on the side near the front that reads 5-23-66
I am planning on instilling this transmission into my 73 Duster.
Will this shifter and handle work in said car with a standard A-body shifter boot.

Thanks!

20210328_173848.jpg

20210328_173853.jpg

20210329_201255.jpg

Hurst comp plus factory shifter A body cars with A833 OD transmission. This is evident by the 3/4 tab flipped upside down for the O/D.

Unless you shorten the 3/4 rod and flip the tab, your pattern on this "non OD" trans will be 1,2,4,3

The shifter looks to be a B body console shifter, but it's tough to tell for sure. Are there any numbers on the shifter or shifter box?

The shifter looks to be a B body console shifter, but it's tough to tell for sure. Are there any numbers on the shifter or shifter box?
Couldn't find any other then the patten numbers, havent disassembled the shifter and handle yet so could not find any numbers on the shifter so far. There is a number on one of the shifter linkage tabs but idk if that helps.

20210328_190248.jpg

The 3894 number is the 3-4 selector arm for a Mopar 4 speed. Other than that, you might take the shifter off & see if there are any numbers on the shifter box.

A standard boot will be ok too.
Look for a number on the reverse lever on the shifter and post it here.
Iceland? I give you guys credit.

Edit: I took another look and I stand corrected, it is a non console 1971-74 a-body handle.

Last edited:
Factory console shifter for sure. It will work without a console but will look a little strange. A standard boot will be ok too.
The only real 340 4 speed Duster in iceland still on the street as far as i know. Very few manual Mopars here too.

Non console A body shifter. Short tailshaft A body transmission.

Last edited:
Non console A body shifter. Short tailshaft A body transmission.
Alrighty. You said earlier it's an overdrive shifter unit though, i should get a normal factory A-body shifter unit and rods as replacements for it so i dont need to modify anything?

Just flip the 3-4 shift lever on the trans, place a 1/4" drill bit in the shifter, and shorten the 3-4 rod.
Cut and re-weld the rod, way cheaper than new linkage.

Flip the 3/4 tab over, pin shifter in neutral. Cut and shorten the 3/4 rod as needed. Rest of the rods are the same

A standard boot will be ok too.

Edit: I took another look and I stand corrected, it is a non console 1971-74 a-body handle.
Took á look at the reverse lever. Looks to be 6370 (see photo)

20210330_172949.jpg

-
Back