If it weren't for bad luck.....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Been chasin a skip in my truck (04 Ranger) for a couple of days. I had everything to do a tune up on it anyway, so I did it. Still skippin. It's not terrible and when it gets just a little RPM, the skip goes away. Even on the scan tool. I thought weak or broken valve spring. So, I pulled the intake plenum and the valve cover. Yanked rockers off number 5. Springs LOOK ok. So I tried to push down on the exhaust spring. I can barely move it. Did the same with the intake. I can open it fairly easily. "Great I found the problem!" Wrong. Just to be sure, I put shop air on that cylinder. Son of a ***** if air ain't comin outta the exhaust pipe. I put a set of reman heads on this truck shortly after I bought it a little over 3 years ago. There was a big Ford TSB regarding soft exhaust seats. So I got a set from Dover cylinder head in Atlanta with tungsten carbide exhaust seats. I figured that problem was fixed. This is the absolute last thing we needed and right when I was beginning to dig us out. Down to just Kitty's car. I hope nothin happens to it. If ever there was a week when I could hang myself out of a tree this is certainly it.

Hang in the brother. You're a good guy and I wish you all the best. Found out this morning I don't have a job to go to and I'm scared sh!tless right now. You'll make it through. Just remember what's important.

I'll be praying for you. You'll find somethin.

had a ranger with the same deal,and always shows itself at the wrong time.:banghead:thats why i ride mybike around town.

Indeed. I am almost there now. Been pluggin away, takin a break, pluggin away, takin a break. All I have left is the rest of the rockers and pushrods, disconnect 4 exhaust bolts and then the head bolts and we're home. At least I can do the labor for no cost......well.............my cost will be a heavy mirgaine for several days and I will be worth less of a **** than usual. LOL

Thanks man. I'm almost there. I thought I was gonna get it apart today but I got overheated and had to stop. All I have left is the four Y pipe bolts on the bottom and the head bolts then they are off.

Sorry to hear Rob, my 01 F150 has bad exhaust manifolds, and I dont dare tackle that. Also been chasing a rattle in the back end(of my truck) and cant seem to finger it out! Gimme something old to work on.....

Ah Man, that sucks.
Do you have different heads, or are you going to have to redo those?

Don't give up man. It may be a ways off, but things WILL get better. Even if you hit rock bottom, there's still only so far you can sink before you make it back to the surface.

I dont think they'll fit a Ford 3.0L V6 but it's a nice thought. lol

Does anybody know anything about injectors? I think I might want to replace them. I am pretty sure the stopped up fuel filter and the number 5 crudded up injector leaned it out and caused the problem. My exhaust system is how shall we say.....VERY free flowing, but still has manifolds. 3" from the ahem "cat" back to the bumper. I feel like I could use at least new injectors...possibly an upgrade. Nothing crazy. But I dont know anything about um.

i usually get injecters from the wrecking yard if somthing i'm working on has a bad one.i know none of the crap you put in the tank cleans them,they have to be sent out.what year is that thing?i can look around,they throw away good vehicles around these parts....

I dont think they'll fit a Ford 3.0L V6 but it's a nice thought. lol

Does anybody know anything about injectors? I think I might want to replace them. I am pretty sure the stopped up fuel filter and the number 5 crudded up injector leaned it out and caused the problem. My exhaust system is how shall we say.....VERY free flowing, but still has manifolds. 3" from the ahem "cat" back to the bumper. I feel like I could use at least new injectors...possibly an upgrade. Nothing crazy. But I dont know anything about um.

:D

go here

With Consummate Respects and Credit to Mr Weiss.

dang Rob, I hope you get it fixed. im about in the same boat your in except my dart is our only means of transportation and its tired. im just glad my family is so close and my wife and sister work at the same place. if I was closer I would gladly come over there and help. I guess if it wasn't for bad luck we wouldn't have any

Good luck Rob. Sometimes those injectors can be tricky. I think Ford uses the pintle design , which is one of the better ones. Should be a be to get a used one cheap. Just make sure its the same. They have different flow rates.

Wow. Talk about information overload. Thanks. I will see if I can figure it out. lol

dang Rob, I hope you get it fixed. im about in the same boat your in except my dart is our only means of transportation and its tired. im just glad my family is so close and my wife and sister work at the same place. if I was closer I would gladly come over there and help. I guess if it wasn't for bad luck we wouldn't have any

Yeah, but I gotta come back and say, while it seems like I might not appreciate what I have, I do. We're still way blessed than many many people. I need to shut up and be glad I gotta truck to fix. lol

Got lotsa friends too. Thanks yall.

Good luck Rob. Sometimes those injectors can be tricky. I think Ford uses the pintle design , which is one of the better ones. Should be a be to get a used one cheap. Just make sure its the same. They have different flow rates.

Yeah, no kiddin. This flow rate, that flow rate, this connector, that connector, this length, that length. dammit dammit dammit.

-
Back