Ignition cylinder lock replacement: I need help.

-

stimpy

Reaction score
I own a 75 Swinger that has been a driveway ornament for a couple of years ever since I lost it's only set of keys shortly after buying it. I bought a (repro?) ignition and door locks off of eBay, but I don't want to ruin the car's cherry interior with ham fisted ignorance. Can someone walk me through how to do this replacement so I don't break anything?

Hey Stimpy, I just removed an ignition switch from a 71 dart swinger, so I'll run through what I did. After removing the steering wheel, take the screw out of the cancelling cam and gently pry the cam off the post. You will find a C- clip on the steering shaft that you remove to pull the items off in the way working your way down to the key switch tumbler. When you get an unobstructed view of the tumbler, you will see a small hole near the inside edge of the tumbler that you put a small nail, awl, or other push pin into to release the spring that keeps the tumbler in. Then you pull the tumbler out part way and remove your pin and the tumbler should slide out the rest of the way. Put your new tumbler in and when it gets to the spring, put the pin back in to press in the spring and push the tumbler in the rest of the way, then remove the pin and put the items back on in reverse order. Good luck, Geof

aditional details...
&5 model will have a steering wheel locling mechanism. That notched plate almost completely covers the tumbler retaining pin/hole. It is possible to poke a small tool around that plate and push the pin in provided you have the key. The switch must first be turned to the one position , otherwise the pin wont push in. Without the key you will need to remove that wheel locking plate and drill out the tumbler retaining pin. Good luck

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately I don't have the key, so it sounds like it doesn't want to be easy.

... you will need to remove that wheel locking plate

It might be hard to tell at first glance, but that locking plate has a thin sleeve pressed-fit over its hub portion. Use a small screw driver or pocket knife to carefully pry off this sleeve, revealing a tapered pin that must be driven out to free up the locking plate.

The pin must be driven out in only one direction. Look very closely and you can see one end is slightly smaller than the other. Use an appropriately sized pin punch and tap it out hitting the small end to drive it out on the large end side of the shaft.

This will all make sense, once you get into it.

Jerry

Just a thought, if you still have the original door lock. Take the door lock to a locksmith and he or she can make you a replacement key. The door and the ignition switch usually share the same key IIRC.
Bob

I already have the replacement locks, plus the drivers door lock is broken.

-
Back