ignition resistor glowing red hot on back side?

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
1973 dart, had a fbo system on vehicle removed thinking it was my problem, now I know it wasn't, I just installed back to a stock over the counter resisted coil, and side resistor, states in wring diagrams online, 12v ignition and relay cranking 12v goes to one side, the others to the generic off the shell stock ecu box... Im getting a glowing red hot ignition resistor? what might be causing this? by t he way a 4 pin ecu on car. any thoughts?
since im goint be getting car ready to sell, im going to throw a gm hei module on it for cheep reliability... but still would like an answer to why its glowing red?

Usually there's a thin ceramic cover over the backside to cover the element. But that's why the thing is made of ceramic, because that's what a resistor does - soaks up some of the voltage, thereby lowering the voltage to the coil, and converts it to heat. Measure the voltage to the coil with a VOM and see what it is - I believe the resistor drops it to like 9 volts. Any issues - replace the resistor.

Are you CERTAIN you have the correct side connected?

Are you using a factory coil or a "hotter" one?

What is your battery running/ charging voltage?

See here:

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Mopar Ballast Resistor Test

The BOTTOM side in this photo goes to the coil

Ballast_Resistors.png

I actually don't remember if I've ever tried to see if these ran red hot................

Your ign coil should be non resistor.

Usually the coil gets a full 12 volts when the key is in the Start position - once it's in the Run position the voltage to the coil goes thru the ballast resistor and is reduced. The stock OE Chrysler stuff of the musclecar vintage operates as described.

Are you CERTAIN you have the correct side connected?

Are you using a factory coil or a "hotter" one?

What is your battery running/ charging voltage?

See here:

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Mopar Ballast Resistor Test

The BOTTOM side in this photo goes to the coil

View attachment 1715077833

I actually don't remember if I've ever tried to see if these ran red hot................
I can tell you without any doubt, dont touch one if its been running a long time.

Normal operation. Next.

Wow. I did say a factory. Resisted coil. Single leaded resistor. And 12volts and drops. Just thought that it glowing ted on the back side seamed unusual. But appears to be normal. According to the few that read it understandingly .... Thanks for those. Positive responses. ..

-
Back