ignition switch 63 dart

-

furyfrank

Reaction score
How do you remove igntion switch from this car,lost keys and have to get new ones, alot cheaper taking it to locksmith than having him come to you.

The front trim on the switch will unscrew if it is like my 63 Valiant was and I am sure it is.
Disconnect your battery, Hold the back with your hand and turn the trim ring with something, it's almost like removing an antenna.

There may be a flat keeper in the back to pull out to. Hope this helps..

Take a door lock cylinder out should be the same key. I think the driver cyl should have a EP code on it.Mike might be right about removing the ignition.The way I remember is the ignition face is too large to gothrough the bezel ring soyou need to have the key toremove it. It's been A longtime since I worked on one.

Take a door lock cylinder out should be the same key. I think the driver cyl should have a EP code on it.
Yes!! That's right know that I think about it, my ignition key is the same for my door lock :eek:ccasion: That would be the way to go DRENO :happy7:
DRENO is a lock smith here and he keeps us inline, good idea sir :hello2:

Disconnect the battery negative terminal first. Unscrew the round bezel that surrounds the front of the ignition lock, then push/pull the lock and switch assembly forward (towards the front of the car) and drag it down under the dash. Unplug the switch connector from the rear of the switch. Then take the switch-and-lock assembly to your locksmith. For reference, the lock cylinder is removed from the switch by depressing a metal pin on the side, but this can only be done with the key held in the start position.

Disconnect the battery negative terminal first. Unscrew the round bezel that surrounds the front of the ignition lock, then push/pull the lock and switch assembly forward (towards the front of the car) and drag it down under the dash. Unplug the switch connector from the rear of the switch. Then take the switch-and-lock assembly to your locksmith. For reference, the lock cylinder is removed from the switch by depressing a metal pin on the side, but this can only be done with the key held in the start position.

Correct for sure.. on how to remove ignition switch, can a locksmith rekey it with out a key ?, I would think so :-| or he can pick up a new BAL-KAMP brand switch from NAPA, and have the door locks re-keyed I think :-|

There is no ignition switch or lock cylinder or door lock cylinder for a '63 Dart in the Balkamp line.

It sounds like the ignition switch is ok but the lock cylinder has no key. If so, you can pull either the door lock cylinder or the ignition switch assembly out and get a key made that will work both of them. The door cylinder takes a bit longer to remove but it is fairly easy to make a key for it by matching the pins inside. Sometimes there is a code stamped into it's housing and a key can be made from a code book. The ignition switch is easy to remove and should also have a key code stamped into it's housing. If not the locksmith would have to pick the lock into the "run" positon so the lock cylinder release button can be depressed and lock cylinder removed. It can then be rekeyed by pin tumbler length also. Check around and get a price quote first. I've seen a wild variety of prices for that job. If you were here in San Diego, I'd do it for you for $10 if you brought the parts in.

Any locksmith with some basic skills can make a key for the ignition.It was 1 of the first things I learned.Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. I got the ignition mixed up with a GM,you're right Dan. Wow,thinking back 36 years isn't easy.:rolleyes:

Any locksmith with some basic skills can make a key for the ignition.It was 1 of the first things I learned.Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. I got the ignition mixed up with a GM,you're right Dan. Wow,thinking back 36 years isn't easy.:rolleyes:
Took ignition switch to locksmith ( thanks for the help on how to remove it ) he made a key for $15 dollars asked him about the doors and trunk he said bring the car to him and he could make keys there, the only problem is the locking gas cap with no key not sure how much gas is in car will probally need a new gas cap anyone have one they want to get rid of ?

Good to hear. If the ignition is original to the car and the door locks too then the same key will work both. The trunk is on a secondary key same as your glovebox lock if You have one.Again only takes 10-15 min to make a trunk key. (He gas cap is simple if you canget it there. Good luck.

A locking cap with a key for a '66 and older A-body is not the easiest thing to find but not inpossible. I've seen a few on E-bay from time to time but they can bring pretty good money on an NOS one. They're not usually that hard to pick as most brands have a pretty simple lock tumbler. See if you have other gas cap keys on your ring that match the slot. Many times all it takes is a little lube and some wiggling of the key to get it to turn. You may have to try a few different ones but it's rare I have to try more than a half dozen or so. You may have to round up some from your wife, ked, and/or neighbors and friends but it's worth a try rather than run out of gas.

Probably an aftermarket locking gas cap. If you can find the same brand cap at the local auto parts store, the keys should be the same so it should fit your cap. I did this several years ago with a 72 Duster cap that was missing a key. The key for a cap on a 70 Duster fit.

-
Back