Ignition Switch

-

hippy 60

Reaction score
I have a 63 Valiant and was hooking up the wires enough to see if it would crank,I plugged in the switch with the big plug and it has another termnial on it i was wondering which wire goes there it will click using the switch but won't turn the motor over ,But you can jump the starter relay and it will crank.What is wrong with it.??????? Thanks for any help.

Pics of the wires with the plug and switch would help

Pics of the wires with the plug and switch would help
Yea i will take some of both the switch and the plug end and post it on here,But the plug has a blue,red,yellow,black, brown wires and then it has that other terminal on the switch i will get sum pics. tho.

Yea i will take some of both the switch and the plug end and post it on here,But the plug has a blue,red,yellow,black, brown wires and then it has that other terminal on the switch i will get sum pics. tho.
103_0998.JPG
103_0997.JPG
103_0994.JPG

i think someone changed the switch because i have one junked and it just has 5 prongs on it but can't use it don't have a key sorry about the pics. was hard to get in there to get a good pic.

Can i just run a wire to it and ground to the car will that hurt anything.??
I would just cap it.

Wiring sequence:
Red - BATT
DK Blue - 1
DK Brown - 2
Black - ACC
Yellow - START

1962 print for reference.
0621201740.jpg

The click but not turning over could be a number of things.

Poor connection / corrosion at battery terminals, starter relay, or starter. (Most likely)

Starter relay could be faulty

Low / worn out battery

if its automatic trans, starter relay will have the yellow wire from your switch. That gets hot with switch in start position. the relay should also have a brown wire from neutral safety switch (automatic trans). If that doesn't provide a ground with trans in park or neutral, the relay wont function/close. You can short this brown wire to ground at the relay to prove relay is good and neutral safety switch is the problem.
If its manual trans the correct starter relay wont have a terminal for the neutral safety/brown wire. A lot of times the part stores would have only the automatic trans type relay in stock. Installer would need to add a ground jumper from neutral safety terminal to ground at the relay.

^^THIS HERE^^

The functional path which energizes the starter relay is:

Ignition switch in "start" feeds yellow "start" wire goes out into engine bay through BULKHEAD CONNECTOR to start relay and to one "push on" flag terminal. Through the magnetic coil of relay and out remaining flag terminal to brown which leads to neutral safety switch ..............and that switch is GROUND when in park / neutral.

If you hear the relay click but the starter won't operate the relay might be bad. If you jumper the two large exposed terminals of the relay and if this causes starter to operate then the relay is likely bad

Looks like the starter switch and connector in my 64 & 65 A-bodies, plus my 65 C-body which I was refreshing the dash wiring a month ago. There are 2 connectors on the starter switch. You show just the funky 5-terminal connector. A smaller connector nestles between it (1 terminal?). Re what those terminals are for, they are labelled right on the switch of your photo. It looks like the "ST" terminal doesn't fit your 5-pin, so perhaps that is the one on a separate connector. That should be a yellow wire. I see one in your photos, but can't tell if it goes to the 5-pin. I could crawl under my dash and look, but makes me dizzy, so nada.

-
Back