IGNITION UP GRADE NEEDED ?

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
Now that i have the fuel system taking care of for my supercharger build. Im thinking ill need to upgrade my ignition. As now i have a MSD 6al box, i dont remember what the coli is, MSD 8mm plug wires, the plugs are champions 12yc.

How much boost do you plan to run, and what fuel? If this is something like 8 psi on pump gas, what you have should be fine. The main upgrade you need to deal with is the correct distributor curve - including boost pressure retard.

If you're talking 25 psi on methanol, you may need a bit more...

You need something with a map sensor (MSD 6BTM) or something programmable (MSD 6AL-2 programmable) so that you can reference your timing to manifold pressure. That allows you to keep the timing in the engine for cruising (fuel mileage and temperature) and pull timing when boost comes in. The 6btm is manual and easy to set. The 6al-2 uses MSDs software and is pretty easy to navigate and understand.

How much boost do you plan to run, and what fuel? If this is something like 8 psi on pump gas, what you have should be fine. The main upgrade you need to deal with is the correct distributor curve - including boost pressure retard.

If you're talking 25 psi on methanol, you may need a bit more...
The kit i got says 7-8 lbs of boost. I am going to run 93 pump gas.

You need something with a map sensor (MSD 6BTM) or something programmable (MSD 6AL-2 programmable) so that you can reference your timing to manifold pressure. That allows you to keep the timing in the engine for cruising (fuel mileage and temperature) and pull timing when boost comes in. The 6btm is manual and easy to set. The 6al-2 uses MSDs software and is pretty easy to navigate and understand.
It's also possible to do this with a specialized vacuum advance can - although I have no idea where you'd get one nowadays. Or if you're running EFI, it will probably have this feature built in.

It's also possible to do this with a specialized vacuum advance can - although I have no idea where you'd get one nowadays. Or if you're running EFI, it will probably have this feature built in.
If you crack the VA can open and play with spring pressure you can make them work for boost retard, yes. Look up Tony Angelo’s YouTube channel, he just did a “how to” about it for his AWD cyclone. But that’s not reliable or a good solution.

Go look at a Studebaker. I don't know what the boost is but they made it work 50 years ago. Off the top of my head there is reference is connecting to the fuel pump.

Well im am going to break down and buy a MSD 6a BTM with the boost control knob

These just came out and you can program them through your cell phone so no computer needed. MSD 6523 MSD Ultra 6AL Plus Ignition Control - Red
You convinced me to try that box for my next turbo build. Thanks @Kegan B for posting it.
19AEBC90-70D8-400A-A52B-94B79EF10F3A.jpeg

-
Back