I'm Heartbroken. Time to face reality that my Cuda is a parts car.

-
Just turn up your dial ! Its as easy as pie ! And a whole lot cheaper than Aragon . or how ever u spell that damn gas.

Argon.

For MIG an 80/20 mix works great, doesn’t need to be 100% Argon like for TIG.

Flux core is ****. Period. You wanna fix fences and trailers, great. You want to weld sheet metal? Put the flux core in the trash where it belongs.

Yup, depending on what your doing and position it’s good to have options. Only takes a minute to switch wire, flip or change drive wheels and tip. I usually leave an .035 liner in.
I'm set up for .030 flux, or .024 gas.

I'm set up for .030 flux, or .024 gas.
. 023... Get on eBay, you can get a gas bottle cheap, think mine was right around $95 for 80 cu/ft... Be another $50-70 depending on where I go to get filled, but it's an owner tank. You can lease but, them tanks will last a long time. You will go through probably give or take 3-4 pounds of wire with a tank of gas. If I am thinking right.

Damn tank cost over $200 in Hawaii and @ $150 to fill. Price of living in Hawaii. But they are right ! Fix your car, You will be sorry if you don't !

Damn tank cost over $200 in Hawaii and @ $150 to fill. Price of living in Hawaii. But they are right ! Fix your car, You will be sorry if you don't !

I bought a 330 tank, $175... But I ain't asking where it comes from. It's full, and mine until it runs out... That's alot of wire burning. What kind of wire you run? Flux wire

I bought a 330 tank, $175... But I ain't asking where it comes from. It's full, and mine until it runs out... That's alot of wire burning. What kind of wire you run? Flux wire
Yep, and it works just fine on Sundays too !
Never had a problem and to cheap to care . ha ha

Yep, and it works just fine on Sundays too !
Never had a problem and to cheap to care . ha ha

What brand of flux core are you using? I have Hobart, and blue demon... I run flux as well

.023 solid wire gas shielding is the way to go for sheet metal, much more control and cleaner, my 2 cents. Also flux core and solid cord use diff polarity should say on or in your welder.

That's what I used for mine and lemmie tell you, it almost doesn't spark and spatter AT ALL. Just the little orange ball is all I usually get. Almost no noise.

Just remember, for any kind of structural work, or pipe lines... Mig or wire feed is not an option.

I have a Lincoln, so I usually use Lincoln brand 2lb flux core.30 wire.
If i buy 10 lb. Roll i think they have a Miller brand ?

Just remember, for any kind of structural work, or pipe lines... Mig or wire feed is not an option.

Define “structural work”. Because you can still MIG weld a mild steel cage for NHRA certification.

I have a Lincoln, so I usually use Lincoln brand 2lb flux core.30 wire.
If i buy 10 lb. Roll i think they have a Miller brand ?

The wire makes a big difference. But most people associate a wire feed with the harbor freight welders. The cheap welder is ac, a decent wire feed is DC... Big difference! But even then, have to run a good wire.

The wire makes a big difference. But most people associate a wire feed with the harbor freight welders. The cheap welder is ac, a decent wire feed is DC... Big difference! But even then, have to run a good wire.
I only have a 110 Lincoln welder. To hard to put a 220 plug in my house. And i dont want to have to pull out my Dryer every time i like weld.
Plus i dont do weld frames or roll cages . only body and floor panels. So my 110 works just fine !

Neither is saying flux core wire is trash !
Now lets all be friends and chill.

Flux core IS trash. And yes, for a guy that has to spend a lot of time replacing panels on his car, that’s completely relevant.

You’re the first person I’ve talked to in almost 30 years of working on cars that wanted to use flux core wire for anything other than a paperweight. Seriously. I don’t think I’ve talked to another person that has used both flux core and a gas feed that would choose to use flux core.

In a pinch? Sure, fine. Planning on installing multiple full factory panels and frame rails? I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.

Last edited:
Because that’s applicable to this thread...

Why not? I know people who can make d@mn good sheet metal welds with a stick welder, or oxy-acetylene. Tig is I believe if I remember right, the preferred way to weld a cage, although I remember a car that ran at a dirt track for well over 3 months, had a PVC pipe roll cage... Lol!!!

Im done, no talking to this guy. Whatever !
U do what u like , And i do what i like. Just dont talk down to me, its not kool. I have not to u . YET !
Every welder has his ways and tricks. Just let it be ! Breath !

Flux core IS trash. And yes, for a guy that has to spend a lot of time replacing panels on his car, that’s completely relevant.

You’re the first person I’ve talked to in almost 30 years of working on cars that wanted to use flux core wire for anything other than a paperweight. Seriously. I don’t think I’ve talked to another person that has used both flux core and a gas feed that would use s flux core.

In a pinch? Sure, fine. Planning on installing multiple full factory panels and frame rails? I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.
On a cheap AC welder, flux is trash, but not due to itself... It is what it is. On DC, not too bad, much better. But I will use flux, it has its uses, same as gas. Actually flux will penetrate deeper, and is a stronger weld.

U do what u like , And i do what i like. Just dont talk down to me, its not kool. I have not to u . YET !

It's all good...

It might be an area thing about flux core? I worked in San Francisco a bunch on large projects including hospitals. Flux core is just about all they use for structural welding with I think a .070 wire. Suitcase welders Lincoln makes them.

I know they did use flux, I thought they got away from that??? Maybe it was just for blind corners or something? I know they had alot of issues where couldn't get the gun close enough for penetrating. So back to stick... This around '95--'98... Haven't heard anything new to say otherwise. Not only stick on pipe lines, but only certain welders.

Holy crap. My post about how I wanna part my car turned into a welder argument. I'll settle this then, you both need to show up at my place, and weld up my car. When you are all done, I'll judge. Deal, guys?

Holy crap. My post about how I wanna part my car turned into a welder argument. I'll settle this then, you both need to show up at my place, and weld up my car. When you are all done, I'll judge. Deal, guys?
I thought there was 3 of us? I'M game...

Why not? I know people who can make d@mn good sheet metal welds with a stick welder, or oxy-acetylene. Tig is I believe if I remember right, the preferred way to weld a cage, although I remember a car that ran at a dirt track for well over 3 months, had a PVC pipe roll cage... Lol!!!

Saying MIG is no good for “structural welding” when you’re talking about building bridges, in a thread about replacing rusty panels on a Barracuda isn’t relevant.

And yes, TIG is great and the preferred method for cage building and sheet metal repair. But most guys rebuilding their own car in their own garage don’t have $5k to drop on a TIG.

MIG is great for anything you need to do for repairing a unibody. Would TIG be better if you’ve got the machine and the skill? Absolutely. But that wasn’t the point, just like building bridges and skyscrapers isn’t the point.

Bud, I’m not mad. If you think flux core wire is the greatest thing ever, good for you. You’re the only guy I’ve ever met that likes it for automotive work. And I’ve been in and around automotive repair for almost 30 years.

And I’ve used it. And there isn’t enough money in the world to convince me to do the repairs that RSie needs to do with flux core. So I sure wouldn’t recommend it to him. And yeah, I’m gonna disagree, because setting yourself up for that much flux core work is bad planning.

Sorry man. You’ve got the right plan already, ignore the noise. A Hobart 140 with gas will be a great set up for you.

-
Back