I'm looking for a dart, can't decide what year!

-

kevinpowertv

Reaction score
Hey A-Body enthusiasts! I'm in the market for a Dart. I originally had my hopes set on a 67-69 318 car, but I recently came across a couple 70 and 71 Darts.

I can't decide the best year to get. Will I be kicking myself if I go with the 71 vs the 68 or 69?

I'd love to hear your guys recommendations... what do you think the pro's and con's are for each?

As darts go I was always stuck on 70 or 71's BUT I had a friend 69 in my shop last winter and changed my mind I vote for the 68 or 69 BUT why not a Demon

The best year darts in my opinion are the '68's and 69's...But I'm leaning more towards the '69. I am always looking to find a 69 dart to own...The 70 dart would be my second best choice...(which I currently own.) Not a huge fan of the 71 because of the rear tail light configuration. lol

Huge fan of the 67-69 Darts, especially rag tops...

After that I'd have to say 71 Demon...

70-72 is my preference, not just because I have one but I like all the Darts except the ones with a beak front end.Of course what you want to spend and overall condition including RUST will dictate your choice. I looked at probably 60 cars over a two year year period and EVERY ONE had rust or had had rust in the past. I would wait for a mostly rust free car..................

the only real choice is
EARLY 66 back, narrow engine compartment, harder to find parts and expensive when you do
or
LATE 67 up, more parts available at a reasonable price, wider engine compartment
other than that just pick the one YOU think looks the best

If you want to make a 68/69 into a GTS or swinger you need to buy the hood and hood moldings. About 900 new and maybe 500-600 used. And GT finish panels (125-200) if you go GTS.

The 68/69 front aluminum headlight bezels are hard to restore. 68/69 rear ones get smashed and/or need rechroming. Where the 70-72 grilles/bezels are plastic and if you are patient and somewhat crafty, you can paint and glue them back together. Also the front and rear end fender end caps are painted, so small stuff can get bondo'd and repainted with the car.

With a 70-72, you can just bolt the twin scoops to your hood and go. Add a bumble bee stripe and maybe a 70 spoiler. Also they look good in high impact paint. IMHO, the 70-72 are cheaper to spruce up and improve the looks upon. And they have more bolt on accessories availible

I would go for a 67-69 GTS. With the GTS hood on it it looks like a Road Runner, just smaller. And with the 340 you can have a good handling car as well as power.

I really like the 68-69. It's got more of a classic look to it, however, they seem harder to come by for both the car it self and parts. My long term plan is to put a 440 in what ever year I buy.

Thanks for all your tips. I found a 71 that looks killer... just not sure I want to pay what the guy is asking. It's got 32k original miles, great shape, running, and has the scoops on the hood already. He wants $7k but will probably take 5500-6k somewhere around there.

Any 68-69's I've seen in equivalent condition (rare) are selling for about 9-10k in my area, so the price alone is dictating my choice a little bit.

I either pull the trigger on the 71, or wait for a decently priced 68-69. I'm really on the fence with this one!!! Driving me nuts!

As far as looks go 68 all the way for me.
I like the metal and no plastic cars also the round marker lights.

Hey A-Body enthusiasts! I'm in the market for a Dart. I originally had my hopes set on a 67-69 318 car, but I recently came across a couple 70 and 71 Darts.

I can't decide the best year to get. Will I be kicking myself if I go with the 71 vs the 68 or 69?

I'd love to hear your guys recommendations... what do you think the pro's and con's are for each?

If I were looking for a Dart it would be a 69

Chrysler got everything right in 69, the best looking grill & tail lights, great body lines

A drop top is even better.

Now there was a 67 Convertible on here a while back somewhere in Tenn. that I would be interested in if I didn't have one already.

Curt had his 69 GTS for sale and really wish I had the cash for it, it would have been mine.

Really it doesn't matter what we would pick, WHAT DO YOU LIKE?

The newer Darts were never one I liked, but lately several people I know have 70 & 71 Darts and they tend to grow on you.

Pick the best car you budget can afford or figure total money you are willing to spend and come up with a plan if it is a project and buy what you like

Well, like any classic, availability and price are always difficult to sync up. I'm going to go check out the 71 tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes! Thanks again!

Don't discard the 73+ darts. They come stock with disk brakes, shark grills, and a different tail light look. I feel the 68-69 dart is played out, yeah it looks good, and everyone has one. Thats why I got a 74'.

Keep rockin'!

It seems to me that you should get the body style you want most as the trend is to update the drive trains and suspension from the later models or use aftermarket stuff. That way you can enjoy the older body style you like and have the best of both worlds.

If you plan on putting a big block in, the '67-76 have the bigger engine compartment.
Looks are a matter of opinion.....get what looks good to you. The earlier ones usually cost more and are harder to find some parts. The '73-up ones have the large bolt pattern wheels option, electronic ignition as standard equipment, stronger bumpers, and better price and parts availability. The '67-72 have the factory 8 3/4 option but small bolt pattern. Most options can be changed around so find what looks good for the right price and then build it the way you want.

I feel the 68-69 dart is played out, yeah it looks good, and everyone has one.

Really. I've been going to car shows for a few years in central Wisconsin and have yet to see another 69 aside from mine. I've seen 2 '67 convertibles and 2-3 '68 post cars. I could count the '70+'s for days...:read2:

Go with a 67-69. That's the most muscle-y looking of the A-body platform.

But if I was hunting for another one... I'd ..go ...with..a...

Barracuda fastback. \\:D/

-
Back