in the thick of it...

-

R3dplanet

Reaction score
So after a long winter I'm back underneath my '65 Barracuda. I'm trying to squeeze in a 360 that I had rebuilt and its beautiful to look at. It has 340 heads, power steering, and power brakes. I've asked and searched and I've never found an exact answer, but this is no longer an academic question because I'm actually at the stage where I can't continue without having a real exhaust solution.

I have a set of the original manifolds off the original 273, but I've been warned not to use them because not only do the exhaust ports not line up perfectly, but because the constricted size will probably create a thermal issue and crack the heads. I don't want to do this. So instead I heard that I could use the manifolds from a 340 (1970 I think? Maybe 1971?) and so I spent a bunch of money on a set. While they do physically match and I can drop them into the engine bay, they butt right up next to the power steering gear and it looks impossible to get any kind of exhaust pipe hooked up to them - the bend would put the exhaust connection right inside the power steering gear. So this option is out, too. I should add that I have a 10.5" clutch/housing but I've lost the z-bar because I'm going to install a hydraulic clutch pedal kit from Chuck's.

So the question is .. now what? I need to keep the power steering so replacing it with a manual box isn't an option. The car will be a driver + fun weekends, but it will never race. I should say that I'm less interested in an all-out performance modification (i.e., no cutting into the fenders) and more interested in just finding something - anything, really - that will work correctly without the possibility of cracking my heads or creating a major loss of power from incorrect port alignment.

Can anyone weigh in authoritatively?

1997 Dakota manifolds work with a little grinding at the steering coupler area. Doug's and TTI also make chassis exit headers for the early A bodies.

Thanks for the response.

I'm aware that TTI and Doug's have headers, but before I plop down a grand on a non-returnable item I'd like to hear from anyone with a similar setup to mine that has direct knowledge or certainty that it will work. The TTI setup requires a $300 starter, a remote oil filter get-up, and standard-ratio pitman/idler arms that I'd have to change out. If that's the only option, then great. But what about Doug's? There seem to be conflicting reports about how it fits or doesn't fit. Surely I'm not the first to be in this position.

Thanks again.

WHo told you it would create a thermo issue?

Shot them dead now so the stupid doesn't spread.

Signed, been there done that without issue thanks!

(OMG! What some people come up with!!! )

Thanks for the response.

I'm aware that TTI and Doug's have headers, but before I plop down a grand on a non-returnable item I'd like to hear from anyone with a similar setup to mine that has direct knowledge or certainty that it will work. The TTI setup requires a $300 starter, a remote oil filter get-up, and standard-ratio pitman/idler arms that I'd have to change out. If that's the only option, then great. But what about Doug's? There seem to be conflicting reports about how it fits or doesn't fit. Surely I'm not the first to be in this position.

Thanks again.
I had ordered the Dougs through Summit(got 10% off)the tubes are 1 5/8,s,these were to small for my application,so I returned them for some 1 7/8 Hedman Huslers(fenderwell)You might want to look at the Dakota 318 manifolds.Good luck.

-
Back