Ineffective Foam Cleaner

-

dibbons

Reaction score
The area around the carburetor of my Homelite 26b gasoline blower needed a cleaning. Since I had some Autozone foaming engine cleaner already on the shelf I gave it a shot. The foam was extremely "foamy" but dissipated within seconds. I waited a few minutes then with a garden hose with nozzle attached I attempted to squirt away the sticky gunk. Results: basically none.

A second application of foam was followed immediately by brushing (tooth brush and paint brush). It still seemed to have little to no effect. Second rinse under water pressure with the garden hose and it looked like the gunk got moved around a little and not much else.

Got out the creamy white hand cleaner in the little tub and that finally seemed to cut into the oily, sticky gunk more than anything else previously above.

Maybe my memory is failing me, but it seems to me back in the '70's that foamy engine cleaner would emulsify the oil/grease/gunk on contact.

Engine cleaner doesn’t work very good these days.

Castrol Super Clean works good. But is hard on aluminum and rattle can paint so watch out for that.

The only thing I've found to remove grease is a scraper and a wire brush until your down to metal, then a chemical to remove the final residue.

It used to be diesel fuel with a foaming detergent added. Now, it's a worthless "cleaner" of unknown origins.

Even Simple Green Max (use the max because it's safe for aluminum) would have done a lot more than that. It actually works fairly well given that its very cheap and multi-purpose. Just cleaned a sconge pit push lawnmower that I fixed for the neighbor with it and it did alright.

That creamy white hand cleaner is the king! 2 - 3 applications/rinses and done! Easy on everything too. I just used it on my bicycle and crudball chain.....like new!

Small jar of gas and a toothbrush works wonders here. Awful smelly though and don't light yourself on fire
When I was a kid, my Dad would show me how to clean the fork bearings on a bicycle (circa 1960's). He poured gasoline into a little jar, then gave me an old toothbrush to clean them with. Smelled awfully good back then. Could explain my brain damage now, though ... :lol:

When I was a kid, my Dad would show me how to clean the fork bearings on a bicycle (circa 1960's). He poured gasoline into a little jar, then gave me an old toothbrush to clean them with. Smelled awfully good back then. Could explain my brain damage now, though ... :lol:
The ones in a little cage? Yeah my dad did the same thing too. Clean and regrease bearings, man that's the old days! Coaster brakes and riding around with your shirt off

Engine cleaner doesn’t work very good these days.

Castrol Super Clean works good. But is hard on aluminum and rattle can paint so watch out for that.
Super clean is hard on lungs and skin too

Like post 8 says, Carb cleaner.

You're cleaning by the carb so.....

The best I've found is non-chlorinated brake cleaner, like the O'Reilly house brand. That stuff is bad to the bone.

-
Back