Inkjet printer using up too much ink?

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Do you have an inkjet printer that you rarely use and yet seem to be going through ink even though you're not using it? The ink isn't drying up....

To keep the jets on your inkjet from clogging, your printer will every now and then spray ink through them. Sometimes you'll hear your printer make a noise randomly. Generally this is what it's doing.

All this ink gets sprayed through the printer and ends up in a reservoir in the bottom of your printer. There it will just sit and collect. Eventually you might get an error message with your printer stating it needs servicing. What it needs is this reservoir emptied out.

So next time you buy that expensive ink, remember that generally 1/3 of it might end up in this reservoir if you don't use your printer a lot.

??HUH??

I hate printers. Specifically, I hate liquid ink printers. Hate them.

But the ink does not magically siphon down to some tank in the bottom of the printer.

What really happens is that hackers are able to detect the IP of modern network printers and are able to access them while you are using Al Gore's internet for other purposes. The hackers then access your printer while you are not looking and extract the ink. These are independent contractors who are working for HP, Canon, Lexmark, and others, and are paid based on the amount of ink being removed. Some of these independents concentrate on black ink, as you cannot really utilize a printer without black. No one knows about this, as it's a couple of lines hidden deep in the Patriot Act, which no one has ever actually read.

But the ink does not magically siphon down to some tank in the bottom of the printer.

Take an inkjet apart and see for yourself :D

inkabsorber.jpg

I learned a long time ago to stay away from inkjets..nothing but a pain in the arse and severely expensive! At home we use a laser printer. Although its only black and white, the capacity(# of print sheets) is amazing and never an issue with it. I believe our printer is a HP

I'm tryin' to get you to think. The ink does not just magically disappear. Do you turn the printer on every time you turn on your computer? If you do, it likely has some sort of automated cleaning cycle which pumps a little ink each time

Do some searching. Me? I just refuse to use them

http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/archive/index.php/t-196.html

1) Never said the ink disappears, I said it goes into a reservoir at the bottom of your printer. When emptying it, the ink is pretty gummy. Not reusable.

2) Yes inkjet printers have an auto cleaning cycle when you first turn it on. Most though have a cleaning cycle multiple times throughout the day.

3) Why do I need to do some searching? I run a laser printer. The only time I plug in an inkjet is printing out pictures that I can't wait to take to the photo center.

I find this very fustrating too and I've had a number of different inkjet printers. This last one I bought uses several individual colors and it still seems to run out as fast as the others. I believe they create the illusion of having those cartridges full of ink when in fact there is just a small amount of ink in them.

i learned long time ago to use someone elses printer .....that way i always get my pages printed and never any ink problems.......i use the printers at school, friends house ....wherever and i dont have my own printer and no ink headaches :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I run a laser printer. .

And here all this time I thought you were asking a question, and as it turns out, just.......................................................................................................................................

??HUH??

What really happens is that hackers are able to...

Hah! Hah! ROFL!

:coffee2:

Yeah, I hate em too.

ALWAYS buy a laser printer. I promise you, it will cost you a lot less overall and require almost zero maintenance.

I have an HP color printer I have had for about 8 years. I love it. It prints well and doesn't waste toner. Toner doesn't dry up either.

I would NEVER buy an inkjet.

And here all this time I thought you were asking a question, and as it turns out, just.......................................................................................................................................

Posting knowledge that very few people actually know about :D

??HUH??

What really happens is that hackers are able to detect the IP of modern network printers and are able to access them while you are using Al Gore's internet for other purposes. The hackers then access your printer while you are not looking and extract the ink. These are independent contractors who are working for HP, Canon, Lexmark, and others, and are paid based on the amount of ink being removed. Some of these independents concentrate on black ink, as you cannot really utilize a printer without black. No one knows about this, as it's a couple of lines hidden deep in the Patriot Act, which no one has ever actually read.

**** Del, you crack me up:D
Your going to have people turning off thier modems when they go to bed so thier ink doesn't get hacked.
I have both laser and inkjet, and both of the ones I have I can refill myself.
$20 for enough toner for 8,000 + prints.
$8 for 8 ounces of black liquid ink (about 10 black refills)
Hardly ever use other inks, but have a few ounces of each on hand.
Brother inkjets can be refilled easily, and HP toner cartridges can be.

Posting knowledge that very few people actually know about :D

That's true, they don't.
And the ink market is a BIG scam (if ink was gas we'd be screwed):D
Ink is WAY cheaper to produce than gas, but add it up and see what a gallon of ink costs when sold in new cartridges. OWWWEEE!

-
Back