Input shaft seal (in the bearing retainer)

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So I have a question for the manaul transmission gurus out there. My car has an aluminum overdrive bellhousing, but a regular 23 spline non O/D transmission. I have been running the car with the smaller input bearing retainer for the time being because I figured the 4 bolts would align it well enough for the little 318 that was in the car. However, with my latest rebuild I decided to get a new input bearing retainer to match the bellhousing since I'm now running a 5.7 hemi that should put out some decent power. I want to put a new input shaft seal in the bearing retainer since the retainer I got was out of a junkyard, but since I didn't think about it until after I ordered some other rebuild parts from Brewer's, I'm trying to find one locally so I don't have to make another order for a $2 part and pay shipping. The local part store has a listing for an 18 spline 833 and a 3 speed transmission seal. From what I could find, the 18 spline seal is for sure different than the 23 spline (different listings on Brewer's and other websites), but is the 3 speed seal different from a 23 spline 833 input shaft seal?

If the 3spd is a 23 spline 1 inch input it should work. The other alternative is a shift selector seal from a torqueflite, the seal in the case where the shift shaft for the valve body go up through the case.

Okay, thanks! I guess worst case I'll just try the 3 speed one and if it doesn't fit I'll either take it back or eat the $3 or whatever that it will cost me. I rebuilt the trans about a year ago and put a new seal in the old retainer, but it looks like it would be hard to get out without damaging.

You guys are overthinking this. Find a REAL parts store, or a local bearing supply house. Either get the no.s of both seals involved, that is the seal for the shaft so you can look up the seal ID, and get the seal no. for the housing, so you can look up the OD.

OR, of course, just "mike" em, go to a supply house, and find a seal with those dimensions.

-
Back