Install a Tremec T56 Magnum in your A-body

-

Tjfly4pay

1964 Valiant Conv.
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Just wanted to let everyone know that my conversion parts are available now. I have a few pictures so you can see what all you get with my "Kit".
With these parts, putting in a T56 Magnum is easier than ever!!! Please let me know if you want one, or 2... or even 3!!!
This conversion has really made my 69 Barracuda a blast to drive.... great gears for acceleration.... plus 2 overdrive gears for highway use. This really is the best update I have ever made to our cars.
Thanks for any and all feedback. Price is $799.00. All orders December and January will get $50 off so that will be $749.00. Thanks for the encouragement.
Todd Johnson

Memphis TN

View attachment T56KitPic1.jpg

View attachment T56KitPic2.jpg

Yes. This kit is designed for the 67-76 a bodies.
I have not done an install on the early a bodies, however, I do believe with a little additional work, this kit should work on them as well.
I was hoping to try it out by now... But I have not been able to yet.
Thanks for the question, and interest!! Todd

We just used the hydraulic throw out bearing. Much less of a hastle, fewer parts. Just FYI.
IF ANYONE WANTS TO CONTACT ME. PM OR MAIL

I'm really interested in this kit, Todd. Can you provide some information regarding what clutch setup you used and what HP number you're running? I don't recall seeing that info in the original thread. I want to get a clear picture of the $ sum of all parts involved. Thanks -pauly

I'm really interested in this kit, Todd. Can you provide some information regarding what clutch setup you used and what HP number you're running? I don't recall seeing that info in the original thread. I want to get a clear picture of the $ sum of all parts involved. Thanks -pauly

Hey Pauly. We are running right at 600HP small block.
We bought our transmission and all the related parts from Bruce at Modern Driveline. He can draw up an order for you with all the prices etc. He is in Idaho. American Powertrain is also a Tremec distributor that know a lot about Mopar Aplications.

I will look at my invoice and find out the specs on my clutch. I am out of town until the 29th. I am pretty sure it is a metal Superior clutch, but I want to make sure. Thanks for the interest!! Todd

We bought our transmission and all the related parts from Bruce at Modern Driveline. He can draw up an order for you with all the prices etc. He is in Idaho. American Powertrain is also a Tremec distributor that know a lot about Mopar Aplications.

I will look at my invoice and find out the specs on my clutch. I am out of town until the 29th. I am pretty sure it is a metal Superior clutch, but I want to make sure. Thanks for the interest!! Todd

Thanks, have a great Christmas!

Bruce spec'd the clutch based on our car. It is a Superior clutch.
Lots of options out there!!! I hope this helped.

Ok guys.

I have had quite a bit of discussion via PM on whether this setup will work on the early a-bodies. I am confident that it will, however, I haven't done THAT swap yet.
I have a few pictures that I want to post so everyone can look at the "IDEA".

Thanks so much for all the interest.

Todd Johnson
ToddRon Restorations.

Attachments

• 2012-10-04 13.04.10.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 2,718
  • 2012-10-04 14.10.16.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 2,652
  • 2012-10-04 14.10.48.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 2,709
Ok guys.

I have had quite a bit of discussion via PM on whether this setup will work on the early a-bodies. I am confident that it will, however, I haven't done THAT swap yet.
I have a few pictures that I want to post so everyone can look at the "IDEA".

Thanks so much for all the interest.

Todd Johnson
ToddRon Restorations.

Are these pics of an early A?

Thanks,
Mike

Very nice work, Todd. A similar kit for a T-5 install probably wouldn't be worth your time, but if you ever offered one, I'd be first in line. I don't want or need an entire transmission swap kit like those offered by Keisler and others, just the crossmember reinforcement and mount pieces, and I don't feel qualified to build them myself.

Either way, keep up the great work!

Are these pics of an early A?

Thanks,
Mike

The pictures of the Red underside is of my 1964 Valiant Conv. I had made modifications on that car to install the A-518 transmission. That transmission, while it did work, took a huge amount of power away from the car. The car felt as if it was towing a 3000 lb. trailer. I pulled that transmission out, and put in a 727, and VOILA!!!! the car is completely different!!! Loads of fun, however, no overdrive now. I am hoping to install the TREMEC MAGNUM transmission soon, and if need be, I will develop the parts for the early A-body, if the current setup won't work. Thanks for the interest.

Todd

I am still trying to find a machine shop that might be able to get the price down.
What kind of price point specifically do some of you expect to pay for a AUTOCAD drawn, laser cut, steel torsion bar frame support, and transmission mount. I was trying to produce something that would allow people to keep the torsion bars, vs. buying a complete "K-frame".
I certainly am not going to get rich off of these, I wanted to get them made, and see if the interest is there.
Give me some feedback!!! I am all ears!! I am just trying to recoup a little bit of my investment of money and time.
Thanks for everything you have to offer!!! I am just dying for more of these 6 speed beasts to be rolling around!!!

Todd:burnout:

Myself I always pushed T56 in all street vehicles and have one in my truck though not a Mopar. Todd, you've made it easier for those of us wanting the correct transmission for conversions in an early A and I applaud you for it as the T56 is by far the best solution for any all around vehicle. One question: will any T56 with the correct input shaft work?

Myself I always pushed T56 in all street vehicles and have one in my truck though not a Mopar. Todd, you've made it easier for those of us wanting the correct transmission for conversions in an early A and I applaud you for it as the T56 is by far the best solution for any all around vehicle. One question: will any T56 with the correct input shaft work?

Thanks for the question!!
We did spec out the FORD T-56 Magnum transmission and all the assorted components. That is what I KNOW will work. I suspect that these parts will work for other t-56 applications, but I have not tried anything except the Ford version Magnum. The GM T-56 Magnum should work as well.

I hope this helps, and I hope to be able to answer these types of questions as I do more conversions, and get my hands on more transmissions.

Todd

Very nice work, Todd. A similar kit for a T-5 install probably wouldn't be worth your time, but if you ever offered one, I'd be first in line. I don't want or need an entire transmission swap kit like those offered by Keisler and others, just the crossmember reinforcement and mount pieces, and I don't feel qualified to build them myself.

Either way, keep up the great work!

I have not had a T-5, so I am not sure about fitment, however, I am pretty sure the T-5 is smaller than the T-56 Magnum. So the top would probably work, and the bottom should be easy enough to make work. We should compare the shifter position and trans. mount position and see how close they are T-5 vs. T-56 magnum.

Todd

And a real good part of the T56 is that your rear end will never need any lower ratio than a 4:10. My truck uses a 3:42 and with its tire size comes to 3:53's which @ 2000 rpm in six is 93 mph, so driving @ 2000rpm in fifth is around 70 mph. It's gear ratios on the transmission are 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, .74, .50 and Torque Rating : 450 lb-ft

Hope this helps those who need to know :)

I am still trying to find a machine shop that might be able to get the price down.
What kind of price point specifically do some of you expect to pay for a AUTOCAD drawn, laser cut, steel torsion bar frame support, and transmission mount. I was trying to produce something that would allow people to keep the torsion bars, vs. buying a complete "K-frame".
I certainly am not going to get rich off of these, I wanted to get them made, and see if the interest is there.
Give me some feedback!!! I am all ears!! I am just trying to recoup a little bit of my investment of money and time.
Thanks for everything you have to offer!!! I am just dying for more of these 6 speed beasts to be rolling around!!!

Todd:burnout:

I'm personally OK with the price, being a Mopar guy means expecting to shell out some extra cash for our cars. I hope this product takes off and becomes a big success, I'm certainly interested and am currently saving for the conversion.

-
Back