Installation Question V2.0

-

like_A_pike

that's not factory
Reaction score
Anyone having trouble getting a drill bit all the way through their steering shaft? It eats cobalt bits! I have two spring pins in holes that may not be quite halfway through the shaft. I’ve put 5K miles on like this but always worry they won’t hold.
This month the motor came out and I have endeavored to get a hole all the way through. I have hours in and 3 spent bits and I’m only halfway through! when I got the new gear, it was supposed to have come with a bit, but mine was missing. Is there something magical about that bit? More importantly if there is, where can I get one?
Thanks

R is Racing not for drilling,lol.
Gimmee that bit I'll sharpen it for ya.........
If you have to put more than a fewpounds of pressure on it, the bit is dull. If it drills same after sharpening, then it is wrong type bit.
lol

But in all seriousness, that shaft is super hard, as are most of the steering components.
if you cannot file it,I doubt you can drill it (with commonly available bits). That's always been my test.
And you will likely have to drill a half-size hole first.

That is what my research has yielded, along with keeping the bit cool with a cutting oil. Any chance these coated bits (I.e. titanium or cobalt) cut better without the oil if you keep the rpms down? They do great on mild steel with 3 in 1 at low rpms.
I assume that sharpening removes that coating right?

I can't answer those questions cuz if I can't file it, I just send my stuff to the machine shop, and let them handle it.
I get a quote, and if it costs them 10 bits to accomplish the job, hey that's their problem.
The only things I am an expert at are easy, like staying a male,and wasting time; so I sublet the tuff stuff.

84597270-5828-4ED9-9426-D8EFBBEDAC3E.jpeg

solid carbide as straight and steady as you can with a little pressure and a little WD-40.

-
Back