Installing H Pipe

-

cudachaser

Reaction score
Want to install an H pipe on 2.5" exhaust with Hedman Hedders and pipes out the side in front of rear wheels. So the space I have to work with is limited, I know to be most effective you want to install close up to the header outlet. My question is: Is there an effective distance between the two pipes, or does it matter; can you also screw thinks up if the distance is too great?
Thanks

If you are looking for the ideal location,its about at the end on the tranny tail housing.Its after the collectors and the reducers and is in the 2.5inch tubing and is not to close to the mufflers.Mrmopartech

Mrmopartech said:
If you are looking for the ideal location,its about at the end on the tranny tail housing.Its after the collectors and the reducers and is in the 2.5inch tubing and is not to close to the mufflers.Mrmopartech

I agree after the tranny, anyplace you have a little room.

If you come back just past the ujoint area on the driveshaft,
thats usually a nice spot.

hey cudachaser unlesss you have already got an H pipe , you might want to consider an x pipe setup. the x setup is much better for scavageing exhaust. i have had many h setups, but the x setup has it beat hands down.....just my 2 cents.

I read somewhere 18 - 24 inchs. I'll have to look now.
I install mine after the tranny pan, before the end of the tranny.
On my Magnum, it's right infront of the tranny cross member.

Thanks guys, unless I want to rerun my extire exhaust; an X pipe is not rfeasible right now.
Rumble if you remember the exact measurement let me know, but 18-24" sounds like a good guide, thanks. Peace

The best place to do it is to paint the pipe and go for a drive....the spot where the paint is burned off to where it is not is where the crossover should go. I bought on of the Summit universal H-pipe kits and it worked out great. I welded mine up instead of using clamps. It can with a "bent" pipe to clear the DS and a straight one for the cross over.

I understand the paint thing was an old racers trick, that was debunked, in a search for torque. An 18 inch collector is best, well beyound the collector thats stock on headers. Theres also a weird looking collector that apears to squeeze in the middle. I forget who does it. But it is nearly allways a power maker.

In how to hot rod your small block MoPar, "12 - 18 inchs behind the beginning of the headers collector." It also goes on to say the best location (this may seem to skip the inch , measurement) is "rearward of the transmission mount but not farther back than the U-joint. Compare this to the 12 - 18 in. diamension listed earlier on your specific headers for the best overall location."

I also used a Summit racing H pipe. It will come with 2 pipes to conect the left and right exhaust pipes. Ones is straight and the other is in a slight V shape. These will go into the other pipes in the kit which get spliced into the main pipe.
Welding is the way to go.

ya know I did the paint thing and it worked out my my car the the crossover pipe is right behind the tranny pan......and it is dang close to 20" behind the header collector. Wouldn't suprise me if it was total BS or something that worked for Chevys.

-
Back