Instrument Cluster Blue Lenses

-

fefferman

Reaction score
If I use blue LED bulbs for the backlight for the gages (I have installed white overlays), should I remove the 3 blue lenses from the frame? If I leave them I am afraid that the blue will be too dark. Also, (two questions, 1 post) what should I use to seal the cluster cover? It was the standard woodgrain, but I painted it black with silver trim. Any suggestions??

Bluelenses (851 x 568).jpg

Removing the lenses will allow the bulb to fall down inside the housing.

I guess I didn't think about the whole "bulb falling out of the socket" thing! In your experience do the blue LEDs show through the inner lenses, or are they too dark? I wanna do this right the 1st time and not have to pull it out to fix/adjust. It stunk removing it the 1st time, I don't wanna do it again!

Hey, me again. I was just wondering...When I removed the cluster, none of the bulbs were dislodged, so could there be a problem of a bulb falling into the housing? The bulbs themselves, of course, are firmly pressed into the sockets and the sockets "lock" into the housing, so could I assume that they should be fairly secure? The only reason I ask is because I want to use the blue LED bulbs, but I want the gages to be clearly illuminated. Of course, if the bulbs I want won't emit enought light thru the lenses I'll have to use different bulbs or remove the lenses.

I have no experience with LEDs this application. If you haven't already purchased blue bulbs, Clear will be brighter.

I would put the bulbs in just like you are going to install the cluster find the "hot" wire and ground the cluster to light them up. Make sure you use like a 3 amp fuse. Another words light it up and see if you like it before you install it.

I will post pics as soon as its complete (probably within the week!).

-
Back