Instrument Panel Question?

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I hook up my dash on my 65 Barracuda and the gauges and most of the lights aren’t working. My first thought was the voltage regular (VR), but the lower dash light (for the odometer) is working? My question is since that light still comes on so could the VR still be bad, or could it something like a ground or short like is causing all this.

Thanks

The VR has nothing to do with dash illumination lamps

I'm not familar with the physical construction of the older dashes

Your IVR might be inside the fuel gauge.........see if the fuel gauge has three stud terminals

Generally, cluster problems are.........

Bad IVR

Poor connections at the gauge studs to the PC board

Poor / broken connections at the connector pins to the PC board

Dirty PC board where the dash lamps connect

Dirty/ weak spring contacts in the lamp sockets

and of course burned out lamps

Take a real close look at the ammeter and fuel gauge...if it looks like they got hot...probably did! I thought my fuel gauge needle was black till I took out the cluster...then found the needle had separated-gauge was fried. While I'm not familiar with your exact electrical setup, I'd suggest some easy troubleshooting to give the experts here more info to help you. First, is the alternator providing good voltage? 2. Is good voltage showing up at the ammeter? Those are 2 real easy checks. If you have power showing up at the ammeter and it isn't registering on the gauge with the car running, I think that's a bad sign. Might have to pull the cluster and see what's going/went on. Pictures are always good! Good luck.

Actually the Ammeter is working, but I know that works separate from the rest of the gauges.

The only lamps in the instr' panel that do not require a chassis ground are oil warning lamp and park brake lamp. Everything other bulb, and the limiter require a chassis ground. That means the panel will not function while dangling from its harness connectors unless you attach a ground jumper wire. A dedicated ground wire is recommended.

-
Back