Instrument plug in ,pin repair

-

zigs

Reaction score
Just finished wiring my 68 Dart. Pluged in the insruments to check them. Everything was ok except my right blinker wouldn't blink. Bulbs good, I have power to plug in. When I pushed on the plug in it would blink. I pulled the plug and noticed that the pin was loose. What is the best way to resolder the pin or is there a better way to do this.

Those hollow pins were swedged tight to the board. I once considered making special tools for repairing them but decided epoxy on the back side followed by solder on the front side would hold it. I scuffed the board around the pins with a wire brush in a dremel so the epoxy would get a tooth and good bond. Went ahead with expoxy at all the pins. The thin DevCon 2 part epoxt did flow down inside the pins but didn't huet anything. I had to fence the boundries with putty so its diameter a thickness didn't exceed the relief in the housing.

Those hollow pins were swedged tight to the board. I once considered making special tools for repairing them but decided epoxy on the back side followed by solder on the front side would hold it. I scuffed the board around the pins with a wire brush in a dremel so the epoxy would get a tooth and good bond. Went ahead with expoxy at all the pins. The thin DevCon 2 part epoxt did flow down inside the pins but didn't huet anything. I had to fence the boundries with putty so its diameter a thickness didn't exceed the relief in the housing.

Thanks I'll give that a shot.

I usually just carefully squeeze them tighter in a vice unless they're broken off....then I soldier them.

I usually just carefully squeeze them tighter in a vice unless they're broken off....then I soldier them.

I used a pair of small needle nose vise grips and pinch it tight. It broke off and i think that was my problem, not a good connection. I found a piece of copper wire just big enough to slip into the broken pin, wedged it in tight put the pin back on the board,ground the copper wire down from the back side soldered everything and now I have a right blinker.

-
Back