Intake bolts leaking antifreeze ?

-

duals

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I bought a 74 Scamp with a rebuilt 318 w/ summit intake and there is antifreeze coming out of the bolt head area. I s this a bad intake casket or a problem with the bolts . NOT casket but gasket lol

Thanks

drain the water lever in the block down below the heads and take the bolts out one at a time and put pipe thread sealant on them and re-install and let set per directions on the sealant.

drain the water lever in the block down below the heads and take the bolts out one at a time and put pipe thread sealant on them and re-install and let set per directions on the sealant.

I use a thread sealant made by Loctite called Loctite Thread Sealant:-D, basically liquid teflon. Also I would figure out what the thread size is and buy a bottoming tap to carefully clean out the threaded hole before applying.

As noted below,
Drain coolant and pull the suspected bolt that is leaking. Clean well! Then use a wire wheel and shine the threads up then put High temp Rtv(I use orange) and reinstall then torque to spec.!! Done!!

Thanks guys, the engine has almost 0 miles on it so the bolts should be pretty clean, not sure what the guy used or did not use on them when the engine was rebuilt.:cheers:

Happened to me ,two front intake bolts had a puddle! Drained down below intake and put good ole blue permatex on the intake bolts, no more leaks!
Lou

There is no way to fix that problem. I will just come and get the car so it's not sitting in your way.

I checked a set of 318 heads 79 I think the front 2 bolt on either side do not go into water jackets it sounds to me like intake gaskets are not sealing bolts to long or bad gaskets. the rears were blind if summit intake is thinner and did not have proper bolt in the first place it is possible

The outer exhaust studs/bolts also go into the water jacket. Might check those while drained.

well that gives me alot to check, and dusted, stop by any time and bring the killer dog too.Don't worry about it sitting outside it is in my 30x30 garage:cheers:

remove 4 front intake bolts should be able to run a wire down if it bottoms out it is blind if it go's through you are into water or oil seal it if not your problem is gasket related use wire to measure bolt length

Not to high-jack your thread, But I am having the same problem. Leaks a small amount of coolant on the front side of the intake and runs down the timing chain cover and down the motor. Thanks for the replies to his thread. It might help me too. I noticed a little getting into the oil too. Scary!

John B.

Not to high-jack your thread, But I am having the same problem. Leaks a small amount of coolant on the front side of the intake and runs down the timing chain cover and down the motor. Thanks for the replies to his thread. It might help me too. I noticed a little getting into the oil too. Scary!

John B.

I use the white teflon sealant. on all bolts passing into the water jackets.
Good stuff. Also stops corrosion.

I haven't been able to try any of these sugestions as it has been to damn cold here for this area, as soon as I can I will update. Thanks again:cheers:

John B.

Last time I pulled my intake, I used Felpros, with the ring around the water jackets. Got a gallon of antifreeze in the pan before I even started it. Thicker Mr Gasket, with RTV around the jackets worked. I also sprayed copper on the rest of it.

-
Back