Intake differences?

-

Cerwin

Reaction score
RPM intake Vs RPM AIR GAP

What would the real world gain be on a daily driven 360 with RPM heads, eddy cam part#7177, flat top forged pistons and tti headers..

IS there one?

Thanks boys,
-Jeff

Power wise, I dont think you will see much difference between the 2. The air gap should keep the fuel cooler, not sure how much that adds up to. If you have the rPM I wouldnt spend another $300 on the airgap version of it.

True, power wise you may see at the most around 5hp gain and maybe some torque, but for a daily driver, only thing that is better is the cooling affect on the fuel and thats about it, plus i believe the Air-Gap needs a hood scoop, not sure.

LOL, it's a catch 22.
More power in the summer for the air-gap if you can actually find more than 2 hp, lol.
And more power in the winter since the RPM is water heated.
Purchase accordingly to when the car is driven, how often, where you live, and how you drive it. If it's just a warmed up engine and not looking to destroy some brand X'ers, just simply a driver, even if sprited driving, a regular RPM may be it for you.

Come cooler weather, you'll not like the extended warm up times of the air-gap.

Been there done that!

thanks normally i set my mind on what i will do and i ask to make sure i made the right choice.. yet again you all here have taught me correctly and i made the RPM choice.. which i will stick with.

Thanks,
-Jeff

rumblefish360 said:
LOL, it's a catch 22.
More power in the summer for the air-gap if you can actually find more than 2 hp, lol.
And more power in the winter since the RPM is water heated.
Purchase accordingly to when the car is driven, how often, where you live, and how you drive it. If it's just a warmed up engine and not looking to destroy some brand X'ers, just simply a driver, even if sprited driving, a regular RPM may be it for you.

Come cooler weather, you'll not like the extended warm up times of the air-gap.

Been there done that!

FWIW, had the Barracuda out for a ride last weekend. It was in the high teens. By the time I got to the center of town (approx 3 miles) the engine was warmed up and there was no stumble or hesitation. This was with an air-gap type manifold. Also, it only idled long enough to get out of the car and close the garage door.

dgc333 said:
FWIW, had the Barracuda out for a ride last weekend. It was in the high teens. By the time I got to the center of town (approx 3 miles) the engine was warmed up and there was no stumble or hesitation. This was with an air-gap type manifold. Also, it only idled long enough to get out of the car and close the garage door.

I personally wouldn't think that the exh crossover is something that i would want. Like he said, little cruise down the road and its ready to go when its cold. On the other hand i have a performer rpm w/crossover and having to run 91/100octane in the summer is no fun, and that exh crossover sure doesnt help. (neither did vegas' BAD gas) :) :sleepy3:

DGC, I have found the air-gap to work better with a warm up period of 3 - 5 min.'s over a regular water heated intakes time. It's just when I used the air-gap, the engine acted like a big block requireing alittle more time to operate at it's best.
Your 3 mile drive into town in the cold is about the amount of time I allow the engine to warm up and another bit of time for the air-gap to work as well. (As in smooth idle and operation.)

From time to time when I did drive in the cold, the carb would regress back into a higher idle. Something got a chill. He he he.

Never had any issues with the choke closing back down in cold weather but I do set the choke spring a notch or two richer in the fall. The driveability summer or winter the warm up characteristics will never be like a new computer controller fuel injected vehicle.

dgc333 said:
Never had any issues with the choke closing back down in cold weather but I do set the choke spring a notch or two richer in the fall. The driveability summer or winter the warm up characteristics will never be like a new computer controller fuel injected vehicle.

Ever have a problem with ice forming at the throttle blades, blocking off the idle mixture ports or holding the blades open in the winter?

I have not myself. Though I quit driving it a bit sooner since the Cuda has no heat hooked up. Not much fun grabing a stone cold pistol grip when it's frezzeing out.

How about you ramcharger?

Back in the day on my Torino (sorry!) with a mildly built 400 I used to have ice build-up form in the primaries when warming it up. I was wondering why the engine would fire right up after setting the choke with a single pump, idle high (about 1400 rpms), where it was supposed to, then just stumble and die. I pulled out a flashlight one day and took a peek. Frost was blocking the idle mixture transfer slot and hole and seemed to be growing right off the throttle blades.

Keep in mind that this was Chicago in the middle of winter, the humidity was high and the temp I think was in the single digits. I was young and this was my daily driver. This particular car had a Holley street dominator single plane with the heat passages blocked off. The following weekend I replaced the intake manifold gasket to unblock the crossover and the problem was gone.

I'm guessing that the problem was caused by a combination of factors:

1. It was really freakin' cold!

2. Chicago is on the shores of Lake Michigan so it's really humid.

3. The air compressing at the top of the throttle blades and rapidly decompressing underneath them was working like an air-conditioner.

4. The addition of fuel to the air causing further heat loss.

5. Finally, lack of manifold heat to thwart all the above processes.

rumblefish360 said:
Not much fun grabing a stone cold pistol grip when it's frezzeing out.

LOL! True, but at least you got a four speed! I have never had a V-8 car with a stick. Always wanted one though, maybe next project. :burnout:

[QUOTE='64 Cuda]Did they ever build them any other way? :lol:[/QUOTE]
Not in my book, but the auto's have an advantage in traffic and when built right, at the strip. I don't know to many people that can row a stock 4spd like an auto, but I met a few. It's not easy.

Back to the intake. For the cold weather, heat is a good thing. Drivabilty is number one on the winter car. I can not be bothered with a cranky engine and poor drivabilty. Stumbling, hesitating, coughing, hick ups etc....
Never mind adding snow, slick roads, etc.....

rumblefish360 said:
Back to the intake. For the cold weather, heat is a good thing. Drivabilty is number one on the winter car. I can not be bothered with a cranky engine and poor drivabilty. Stumbling, hesitating, coughing, hick ups etc....
Never mind adding snow, slick roads, etc.....

Another sunny day here in South Florida... think I'll go for a swim....
Pina Colatas anyone...?

URGH! I Hate you! (ROFLMAO) Make it 3 for me. I'll need it when I get there! He he he he. Fort Lauderdale, thats far!

ramcharger said:
Ever have a problem with ice forming at the throttle blades, blocking off the idle mixture ports or holding the blades open in the winter?

Nope! But I do have an open element air cleaner and headers so the engine does get warm air.

Hmm.., food for thought. :tongue8: Engine isn't in the ramcharger yet, anyone want to buy a nice, painted LD4B? ;)

bschubarg said:
Another sunny day here in South Florida... think I'll go for a swim....
Pina Colatas anyone...?

You suck! :axe: Just kidding! I had to pull the head off my daily driver last night in a snow storm due to a burnt exhaust valve. You sound like my buddy in Orlando. Last time he e-mailed me he said it dropped down to an almost unbearable 72 F at night.

Pina Colatas? How about some hot chocolate with 2 shots of Rumple Minz mixed in it! :drunken:

i was watching the news last night, and man do you guys have it pretty bad out east eh? haha jk i feel for ya. i lived in ontario winters for most of my life, minus the 6 yrs i spent living in the caribbean.. haha

hence the email.

Heh, its not so warm right now in Florida. I'm in east central Fl. and it was 33 this morning and is supposed to be colder tomorrow morning. Makes me homesick for North Jersey. Mike

-
Back