intake port plugged

-

swifty

Reaction score
I started pulling apart a spare 360 I have laying around. I am planning on putting it in my 72 swinger until I get my other motor rebuilt. I was told this engine ran well, 73 360, 110k miles on it. I pulled the the 2 barrel intake off to put on a performer and holley 600. When I removed it I notice the middle port is plugged on intake and head with hard black carbon. I believe it is for heat transfer but I am not sure. I did not have a camera with so I don't have a picture, it is the middle port with a half moon above it.What is the best way to clean this without damaging engine and getting carbon everywhere? I scratched at it with screwdriver and it is like a rock. Would it hurt to leave it?

Yes it is carbon build up. Most just block the passage off from the intake, however if you live in a really cold area and drive the car year round I would not block it off.

I have a performer intake so there is a hole for it. I probably won't be driving it when it is very cold but since I have intake off i would like to clean it out. Where does the port in the heads go? I am worried about all that hard carbon falling in there.

I think it connects to the exhaust ports inside the head downstream of the exhaust valves. Anything knocked in there ought to be incinerated and blown out the exhaust.

It's the heat crossover. If it's plugged, the factory choke won't work right .Pretty common for it to get plugged up on a small block. I have a 318 that is completely plugged. Just leave it alone. It's free horsepower. And i would imagine it's a pain to get out and chunks will fall down into the port.

-
Back